1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

No. I'm going to clean my house while waiting for my editor to call to go over pages and think about what to eat for lunch.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Horrible Bosses, a satire of male power dynamics in the professional world. What a fucking riot.

3. typefitter

Well, I sure as shit didn't confuse a movie called "Horrible Bosses" with a movie called "Celebrated Bosses."

You make a dumb as dirt assertion, you should expect to be called out for it.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's still better than twitter.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. SnarkShark

Way to go, analyzing the title, sport.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not two pages ago, @RickStain explained that when we laugh at Roger Sterling on "Mad Men," essentially satire of loutish male behavior in the workplace, we're simply rationalizing our laughter by saying we're laughing at him.

Was that a "dumb as dirt assertion," too?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She engaged in sexual touching without consent. How is that not assault?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. SnarkShark

The title of the show is “Mad Men,” Dick, not “Funny Men.”

9. typefitter

Yeah, you sure nailed this one, Ebert.

Seriously, @SnarkShark's Film Criticism could be a recurring spot, like a skit on SNL. You could take really hard-to-understand movies like Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and make sure we get the point.

Or better yet, @SnarkShark on Citizen Kane: "Man, I guess he really liked that sled."

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not sexual assault?

Anyway, I'll just offer two statements:

-- Male-female dynamics just aren't the same as female-male dynamics, no matter how much some would wish that everything is exactly the same as everything else.
    -- The existence of fictional depictions of sexual power dynamics does not prove or disprove anything. And, to insinuate that no one shows fictional depictions of men exhibiting questionable sexual behavior is laughable.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's inarguable, and I don't think anyone here has argued otherwise. I'd hope not.

But I don't think that it matters a whit when it comes to defining what is and is not sexual assault. Certainly the law doesn't make this distinction.

12. SnarkShark

Why do you continue to engage with us plebs after you have deemed it a waste of time? You have better, globe-critical work to do, after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.