1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To clarify: People haven't just shown "disbelief . . . that sexual assault against women is treated differently than sexual assault against men."

@lakefront said it wasn't actually sexual assault - it was groping.

@typefitter conceded, yes, it was assault, but she was drunk, he knew her a little, and he likes her.

@RickStain argues that the male in the situation I witnessed consented, unbeknownst to either party. The ol' Bob Knight rape defense.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You want that to be true. That was the angle you were going for. You failed.

3. Dick Whitman

Bob Knight approves.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Consent, and the legal ability/inability to give it, is literally the FOUNDATION of the charge.

5. RickStain

I'm not responsible for anything Bib Knight says or believes

6. Dick Whitman

You have adopted his defense of sexual assault, unwittingly or not.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

In the aspect that consent can’t be given in those cases, sure. But because it can’t be given, it’s inconsequential. If someone argues consent was given during statutory rape trial—it’s fruitless.

8. RickStain

You are, as is not uncommon on this subject, incorrect.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes. If someone grabbed my dick and I liked it, I could still report it as sexual assault and probably win. I wouldn't report it as such, though, because I liked it.

I'll leave it to you to catalog how that response fits with what other people say.

10. Dick Whitman

Nah, we're pretty much in lockstep.

I think that there's a discussion to be had, of course, about whether a 20-year-old male in the mid-1990s (or now) would be positioned, due to societal pressure, to actually determine whether he liked it or not. He had and I haven't spoken about the incident in a while. It would be interesting to see if, looking back, he felt violated, but pressured to like it because that was the way he was supposed to feel.

It's not completely unlike the female teachers and male students thing. They're supposed to like it, and on some level they do, in the moment, even though they are victims.

11. Dick Whitman

USA Today cataloguing the “groping,” “harassment,” and “unwanted physical contact,” with a couple of “rapes” and “assaults” sprinkled in, in Hollywood today.

List: All of the Hollywood power players accused of sexual assault or harassment

Ben Affleck, 45, known for Argo and Good Will Hunting, was accused of groping MTV host Hilarie Burton during a 2003 appearance on Total Request Live. He issued an apology on Oct. 11, tweeting, “I acted inappropriately toward Ms. Burton and I sincerely apologize.” His apology came a day after he condemned Weinstein’s behavior towards women.

USA Today on Sepp Blatter:

Hope Solo accuses former FIFA president Sepp Blatter of sexual assault

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But let's take an example outside the world of fiction. Observe Leslie Mann and Dakota Johnson's behavior in this interview:

Imagine the career-ending outrage if male celebrities treated a female interviewer this way--insisting she unbutton her shirt, demanding she take her shirt off, etc.

So why is it acceptable when the genders are reversed?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.