1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The clip @Stoney presented, if perpetrated by a male, would be roundly hammered as sexual harassment. @typefitter just played the part of apologist, because it “might be the process of correction.” Sexual harassment affirmative action.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So you think they're helping "correct" the problem by ordering their interviewer to unbutton his shirt?

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because everything isn't the exact same as everything else.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I said that I don't think it's okay. I also said that, in an attempt to balance old ledgers, sometimes stuff like this happens. I should have also added that while I would like there to be equality between genders and how men and women are treated, there will always be imbalances. For example, I can't think of many cases of adult men being raped by women, but I can think of quite a few instances of the opposite. Which is why over-corrections might sometimes occur. Because shit has been really fucked up in the other direction for thousands of years, and you can see how mistakes might be made.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No, you didn’t. You excused it.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These are not mutually exclusive.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If someone were forcing you to participate in this thread, would it be sexual assault or groping?

8. typefitter

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To re-set this a little bit, I didn't mean to take us off on the tangent of female-on-male assault here. That digression actually makes me a little bit uncomfortable. It's like when white racist pull some rap lyric and announce, "See, black people are the most racist of all! What? Can't you admit it!?"

I brought up the anecdote not because my friend is a man and the accused was a woman, but because it's an incident that I happened to witness that we would not have thought of as sexual assault at the time, but almost undoubtedly would today, 20 years later. I didn't foresee people arguing that it wasn't sexual assault because of the gender reversal, but they did, so here we are.

10. typefitter

It would be banned under the Geneva Conventions.

11. typefitter

Not about you.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Why not? Shit, most fun I've had all day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.