1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You’re silly.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then it should be easy to dismiss. Give it a shot.

Why try sex crimes?

3. MisterCreosote

Show me.

And, Internet shaming, while a big issue in its own right, doesn’t count.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We don't try murders and other crimes because conviction rates are high.

Link?

5. MisterCreosote

I’m sure you have some kind of “GOTCHA!!!” in your hip pocket waiting to spring it on whoever’s dumb enough to take this bait.

Have a good evening.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Go through your posting history. You have long evidenced little patience with the idea that those accused of sexual assault receive due process. You have long dismissed concerns over a “more likely than not” evidentiary standard as so much misogynystic lawyerese. That the accused should get his day in court is not something you’re interested in.

7. Dick Whitman

Difficulties in Prosecuting Date Rape Charges

Additionally, most sexual assault victims do not physically resist their attackers. 70% of rape victims receive no physical injury during rape. Only 4% of victims suffer significant injuries.

The untrained public expects all rape to occur in very specific preconceived scenarios. Accordingly, jurors often want evidence of physical injury. They perceive those injuries as necessary proof of the victim's lack of consent. They often equate the victim's injuries with her level of resistance, which they in turn take to be a measure of the rapist's use of force. Absent proof of injury some jurors will not convict.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's drawing a bright line. In other words, whether message board you would freely violate civil rights to satisfy your own notion of justice.

9. Dick Whitman

I don’t have a “gotcha.” It’s an earnest question. Why try sex crimes? Victims are to be believed, but conviction rates are low because physical evidence is difficult to come by.

How is my proposal not preferable?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting point by Vaughn C. Jones about the CSI effect. Wish he would have cited the source of his statistics, though. They're pretty meaningless as presented.

11. Dick Whitman

I will dig some up later. But I think it’s pretty common sensical that in the only crime in which consent is a defense, conviction rates are low because evidence of consensual and non-consensual sex is frequently indistinguishable. Not all rape is violent. We should be disabused of that by now. I hope we are.

This is a strange dodge. Should we try sex crimes?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is an awfully ... interesting ... sentence:

“Although statistics indicate that nearly a quarter of all college women have been sexually assaulted, some people are skeptical of any uncorroborated sexual assault claim.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.