1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure. Instinctively. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China, though?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Because it's why some (many? most?) tend to start at the default of believing the accuser in sex crimes.

Isn't that what you've gone on about page after page after page ... that one's default shouldn't be blindly believing the accuser?

3. Dick Whitman

I find it incongruous with trials.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd agree on that.

Gotta keep in mind that sex and sex crimes are a whole different beast and you can't trust the animal instinct/element when it comes to these messy situations.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That’s not why.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Aren’t we just talking about the court of public opinion here? There’s no reasonable doubt standard in public opinion. I’m under no obligation to presume anyone innocent in that context.

I’m also far more apt to give women alleging sexual assault (of any form) the benefit of doubt given the overwhelming power advantage (physical, financial, political) men hold in our society. That’s not patronizing; it’s recognizing the obvious.

I also don’t have a problem with journalists giving more credence to the more believable story and exploring that in their efforts to get to the truth of the matter.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. Dick Whitman

I agree. But why not extend that to the criminal justice context? Only 2 percent of accusations are false. Most of those reveal themselves very early on.

It’s easy to thump our chests about believing the victim when there are no real consequences to that position. It’s a form of slacktivism. The fact that we won’t extend it to the criminal justice context begs the question of whether we really believe them. I’m not saying we disbelieve them.

8. MisterCreosote

Maybe there are “no real consequences to that position” because it’s the right position.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, that just irks me. Why do some people believe that we can only argue one side of the case if we're male? (I know the answer. It still irks me.)

A very simplistic outlook on a complex issue.

10. Dick Whitman

Then why have trials?

11. Dick Whitman

I’m not even sure “side” he finds sexist. Obviously his post was directed at me.

12. MisterCreosote

Because “believe an accuser is credible” doesn’t fucking equal “convict the accused without due process.”

I wish you’d realize how dumb this argument is.

JC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.