1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Has anyone hinted at an especially personal connection between Weinstein and NBC executives? That whole thing is just strange. They wouldn't even acknowledge it even when it was on every network.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Other than Project Runway, which is/was produced by the Weinsteins and ran on Bravo (owned by NBC), I don't really see the connection either.

I do think — and have yet to see this raised, but believe it to be true — we may be seeing some residual fallout from the Gawker/Hogan thing. Which seems nuts, because they are literally nothing alike. But I suspect lawyers and execs are super scared of lawsuits filed by people with deep pockets these days.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No boob jokes allowed now?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The intent seemed to be to get jokes while humiliating actresses, who were sitting in the room in some cases.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The weird thing about NBC is that Comcast is a parent of Focus Features which is a direct competitor of Weinstein in snapping up indies and priming them up for an awards season run. But who knows, it's kind of creepy hanging out in midtown and realizing 70 percent of the media/tv and movie is located within a 4 square block area and the decision makers probably all go to the same place for lunch and coffee and drink at the same bars.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The point is, MacFarland is trying to act, now, like he made that joke for righteous reasons instead just trying to get a cheap laugh. Then in the same show he was essentially shaming women for getting naked on film. Seth Macfarland isn't some ally to women, much as he'd like to pretend to be one. He'd like to have it both ways here.

7. SnarkShark

He is a comedian making a joke. I don't find it particularly funny, but did you similarly find Ricky Gervais' Golden Globe hosting performances distasteful? Because he made a point of making people in attendance uncomfortable and it was fantastic.

Or is it because they are women and he's joking about boobs?

8. SnarkShark

I agree about the righteousness. I don't buy that. I don't agree with the shaming part, unless you essentially feel that same way about all comedy that has a specific, personal target.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Weinsteins famously operate out of Tribeca, not midtown.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Duh, ya can't make fun of women or call them out for anything without being a misogynist

/read your SJ board rules

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Flood that zone at lunchtime. Lots of women would love to find a guy who isn't an asshole.

12. SnarkShark

Don't lump me in with you, for the love of god.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.