1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Everyone used the same headline in the Solo story. Everyone. Everyone used “revealed” in the Reese Witherspoon story.

We’re really going to pretend groupthink isn’t a thing in the media?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

4. Dick Whitman

5. typefitter

Jesus Christ. I am done with this.

6. Dick Whitman

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

typefitter likes this.
  8. typefitter

Guy who thinks they are obligated to debate him but then resorts to Whataboutism and can't get simple fucking facts straight?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair points all around, though that particular episode struck me as an issue based on the current narrative in society.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed the Orville (which surprised me, I generally hate McFarlane comedy) but they just aired an episode where drug-induced date rape was both played for laughs and presented as the solution to the diplomatic kerfuffle of the week.

It was icky and tone deaf.

11. Dick Whitman

I meant the Solo story, but the point carries to Affleck. No one I know of called it sexual assault. Christ, it was on live TV. Then you link me to a CNN story that calls it “harassment,” as some sort of big mic drop. But that’s the problem.

It has an impact on how Affleck is viewed, moving forward. The choice isn’t based upon what happened. It’s based upon whether we like the person. Adrian Peterson spoke out against gay marriage. He ain’t getting an “Atlantic” cover. Alec Baldwin, fellow child abuser, did, though.

(Disclosure: I wrote a takeout a couple years ago about someone with a sexual abuse conviction on his record from high school. I noted it in the story. I’m not saying you can never write about these people again.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Even worse, they went out of their way to point out that what the blue guy was doing was wrong, then used him to save the day, anyway.

I'm guessing it was written and probably shot before the Weinstein story broke, but it is definitely a bad look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.