1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 13 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My example was not about logic. It's about perception of the two most recent championship games and their reflection upon the champion of the Big Ten. Talking about OU you have to go back several more years to a totally different college football landscape than the one we're currently witnessing.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, it's a more fresh and relevant example of one Big Ten team not being on par with the past two SEC champions.

If another Big Ten team gets blown out in the championship game this year, then maybe we can start thinking about an indictment of the entire conference. But right now, it's only an indictment on the last two Ohio State teams.

And if you really want to indict the conference, then why are you discounting Michigan's win over Florida just last year? That's about as relevant -- and only six days less fresh! -- as the Ohio State game.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That makes much more sense, using the head-to-head. But I thought the first tie-breaker in the divisions was BCS standings. So does that mean BCS standings is tie breaker No. 2?

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Florida's gonna beat Bama by 3 scores +. They'll play whatever Big 12 South team wins the B12CG. Bama will get the Sugar. Conference champions will go where they will. Utah gets the chump automatic. Another Big 12 South team will get an at-large. If Oregon State wins the Civil War, USC will get an at-large. If not, then Ohio State will get the at-large.

It's not really a mess. Not even close to last year, or 2004, or 2003, or 1998 really.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Because we're talking about teams capable of winning the national championship. Florida 2007 was almost as incapable of winning the title as LSU 2008. You're trying to drag me into the same old argument that gets spun here every week, and all I was doing was addressing waterytart's point.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If two teams tie, it's broken by head to head.
    If three teams are tied, BCS breaks it.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

No, it would have just been the next one in line because common opponents would have all been the same. But since it would be down to 2 teams, it would go to head-to-head.

8. king cranium maximus IV

Georgia's west teams 2007: Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn
    Tennessee's west teams 2007: Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi State
    LSU's east teams 2007: South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky

Grasping at straws, dude.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

BCS was the tiebreaker for a three-way mess. But if Oklahoma loses next week, then it's only Texas and Texas Tech atop the Big 12 South, so it reverts back to head-to-head.

10. king cranium maximus IV

LSU still has a chance of finishing 5th in the SEC. Which is where Florida finished last year.

11. Johnny Dangerously

If Saban had bowl-preparation time to draw something up for Florida, I'd give Alabama more of a fighting chance. I knew people who thought LSU wouldn't be able to stay on the field with Oklahoma's offense in the 2003 title game, and look what happened.

Saban won't have that kind of time to prepare for Florida.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Yep. And Florida had a Heisman Trophy winner at QB. LSU has no QB.

Draft saved Draft deleted