1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 13 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In SJ baseball land, we had working sportswriters accused of major idiocy for the crime of ranking Ryan Howard ahead of Albert Pujols as National League MVP. Here in college football land, we have a vicious and incomprehensible debate on selecting two TEAMS to compete for what is falsely termed a championship that features some of the most illogical thinking it's possible to imagine. Gang, other seasons and other teams do not have an impact on the current season and current teams, and if anyone thinks they do, well, I'm sorry your emotions have taken control to that extent.
    The BCS is a corrupt system designed to make money for corrupt participants. The old way, where bowls were bowls, and everyone knew the championship was imaginary, was way better. This is like boxing, but with college presidents playing the role of Don King (a role for which most of them are suited).
    I refuse to call "champion" any team that earned its right to compete for a title because of OPINIONS expressed by, among others, ESPN commentators.

2. One of the truly awful things about the current system is that it tends to minimize criticism of those deeply, foully stupid exercises known as conference championship games. (Not to mention the fact that their very existence is oxymoronic to the BCS itself. A couple of them always screw up the eventual BCS match-up.) Those things are pure fundraisers. And don't even get me started in conference "tournaments" in basketball. These are the most glaring examples of a corrupt, moneygrubbing system.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gee, Agree with everything you said, but it doesn't aggravate me as much as it does you. There are 120 DI teams. I'd love to see a playoff system--maybe 16 teams, something the university presidents and the bowl barons will never allow. But no matter what you come up with, with 120 teams, there is always going to be someone somewhere with a gripe. Right now, you have a system that crowns a national champion that at least has a legitimate claim to one, but in any given year you also get one or two teams left out that have a legitimate gripe. Some years, it's clear, though. Go to the 16-game playoff, and you can have some team with 2 or 3 losses eventually winning a championship ahead of some 1 loss teams, who will then have a legit beef.

I agree with you that the old way was fun. At least you had a bunch of bowl games on New Year's that meant something and now you don't. But given that I don't think there is a solution that will ever make everyone happy, what we have right now isn't THAT bad. It makes the regular season exciting. Every week there is at least one marquee game that amounts to a "win or your potential BCS game is gone" game. It keeps fans interested. The conference system and natural rivalries are still there too, so not just the BCS Bowl or National Championship game picture matters to a lot of people. I had more fun watching Ball State-Central Michigan this week than I did most games, and when Oklahoma started to putting a hurting on Texas Tech last night -- the game that should have mattered more than anything due to the BCS -- I had Florida State-Maryland waiting for me, and then when that got boring, Cincy-Pitt was waiting for me. Earlier in the day, I had as much fun following Cal Poly almost beating Wisconsin as I did any of the marquee games. And a game like Boise-Nevada, which I watched most of, beat the heck out of any humdrum SEC game like LSU-Ole Miss I could have been watching.

I understand everything you are saying about how money has created a stupid entrenched system that isn't going to change soon, but it's hard to tell from your post if you still enjoy college football -- as much as I do -- even with the flaws. You sound angry beyond how I am about it. To me it just isn't like Don King and boxing because there are so many good teams and they actually face each other all the time and there are rivalries and enough good games with unexpected outcomes every week to make it fun to watch and then spend all week debating. For me, the regular season makes college football, not some scenario to crown a champion that will never please everyone.

4. Michael_ Gee

Ragu: I am of two minds here. I enjoy the college football regular season as much or more than I ever have. The BCS bullshit angers me because it strikes at my core beliefs and love of sports, the idea of open and honest competition for reward. In a very primal way, I regard the BCS as un-American.
    BUT... Once the bowls start, I enjoy them as the entertaining exhibition games they can be. I watch them or not on their own merits. Texas-USC was about as great a ballgame as there can be. I did not watch last year's "championship" game at all, because it struck me as a bad matchup.

5. The Big Ragu

Gee, I am with you. It's not like the BCS will guarantee something that I intuitively know is good. This year that would be Oklahoma playing Florida for the National Championship game. I know about the other Big 12 teams and USC is probably the most talented team rosterwise in the country, but at this point, Oklahoma-Florida would make the most entertaining and hard to predict (although I think Florida is the best team in the country) game possible. It's actually also good that USC probably won't be playing another Big 10 team in the Rose Bowl. It'll be nice to see USC against an offbeat opponent if that happens.

But none of that is guaranteed. Texas-USC was amazing. Boise State-Oklahoma was amazing. Last year's matchups, as you pointed out, were humdrum. Hawaii-Georgia was too predictable. Ohio State-Florida was doomed to failure.

This year, I'm afraid that out of Utah, Boise and Ball State, Utah will get a bid and be like a sacrificial lamb to someone.

EDIT: I didn't mention Alabama in this. I think Florida will beat them... If Alabama closes, they obviously have earned their shot. Florida has Florida State left and then they will have Alabama. If they finish off those two teams they are deserving.

6. Michael_ Gee

Still haven't seen Utah, but I sincerely doubt they would be overmatched against whoever is Big East and ACC champions. Florida-Oklahoma is not bad as BCS matchups go. USC vs. Texas or Texas Tech would be a cool game.

7. The Big Ragu

I think Texas Tech will now be the odd man out. Oklahoma will jump to the head of the BCS pack and with the BCS as the tie-break for the Big 12, they'll get to play Missouri for the Chamionship. Texas will get at large, because they beat Oklahoma. So they will probably end up against Alabama, I guess in the Sugar Bowl. And Texas Tech will be left outside looking in -- they'll get to have fun in the Gator Bowl playing Florida State or possibly a trip to the Cotton Bowl playing someone like Ole Miss. A season's worth of effort sunk to that in the course of a few hours last night. If it all plays out somehow like that, you will probably see USC against Utah in the Fiesta Bowl. No way Utah hangs with USC. Just not happening. The dead spot will be the automatic ACC and Big East bids. I can't figure out the the ACC--it is still too jumbled, but assuming whoever it is plays Cincy, it will be a boring game. Georgia Tech or BC versus Cincy. Something like that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. Difference maker will be the other two legs of the three-way battle were relatively close. Even tho Stoops ran the score up, this was over in the first quarter.

9. Michael_ Gee

Mediocrity rewarded. The IDEA of Cincinnati vs. BC in a BCS game is enough to discredit the system. It would be more honest if ALL the selections for those five games were made via rankings. Big East not good this year? Hello, Meineke Car Care Bowl.

10. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I think we should stick the two crap conferences together in their BCS bowl. That way you get four good matchups and one bad one instead of five bad ones.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You don't think the fine folks at the Big East and ACC are worried about that?

12. Michael_ Gee

Not as much as the fine folks of whatever bowl thinks it could be left holding that particular bag of flaming dog poop.

Draft saved Draft deleted