1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 13 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm not debating Alabama. It should be ranked first. For now. If the Gators beat FSU and Bama, they'll be ranked No. 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Aren't their rankings the tie-breaker? Given how most people have ranked TT anywhere from 8 to 15th, I think they pretty much shot their chances to hell.

I think the real question is what happens if the South winner loses to Missouri in the championship game ... do voters put the second place team in the South into the National Championship game?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just don't understand how anyone dropped Tech to No. 15. Sure, they got steamrolled, and Oklahoma should get credit on the other side, but, Tech still only has one loss and they beat a top-5 team, so they shouldn't be as low as No. 15.

Oh, and, yes, I do think a Big 12 South team could make the title game even if Missouri wins the Big 12 Championship game, though this board might melt down if that happens. Missouri is not anywhere near as good as those teams.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think so. In fact, that might not even need to happen. It could happen because Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma State, which means the head-to-head tiebreak for the Big 12 South goes to Texas Tech. Maybe Texas could repeat Nebraska 2001.

Imagine the outcry from other conferences with that scenario.

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Shit, I didn't think about what would happen if OK loses next week. Christ.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ole Miss is the only team that beat Florida. Ole Miss still isn't as good -- or as fast or talented -- a team as Florida, in my opinion. Is that the answer you were trying to elicit?

There is one team from a major conference that is undefeated. When you are playing an SEC or Big 12 schedule, I'm of the opinion that you can lose a game to an inferior team on any given Saturday, because teams sometimes come out flat and ALL of these teams are pretty good. On any given day, a very good football team like Ole Miss can beat a great team like Florida. I also believe that if you line them up 10 weeks in a row, Florida walks away with a great winning percentage. Just my opinion. Do you disagree?

Florida has also gelled a great deal as a team since that game, so each week it has seemed less likely they would get upset. They have gotten away from some of the gimmickry they were trying and Meyer seems to have realized they can just line up and beat teams with talent and a speed advantage.

Florida played a crummy game against Ole Miss. They deserved to lose, but still drove the field with two minutes left to score... and then missed the extra point that would have tied it. It was a horrific game for them.

And I still stand by my opinion that Florida is the best team in the country and if they end up playing Texas or Oklahoma in a BCS game (the two next best teams in my opinion) that Florida has a speed advantage that makes me think they are better. I won't guarantee a victory; it's just an opinion, which is all you can really have until you put the teams on the field.

Since I am throwing around opinions, I'll mention USC. I think USC is the most talented team in the country; more talent than Florida. I also think they weren't battle-tested the way the BCS conference teams above them were, and they may be a little soft in key positions. For example, Sanchez had a cakewalk of a season for the most part, but the very small handful of times he was tested, he seemed to hang his head. I don't put USC on the same level as Florida because of that, even though player for player USC is better on paper and plays a pro-style game. In a game between the two, if it turned into a dogfight, my guess is that Florida would go for the jugular. I don't know what to expect from USC.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

So if Oklahoma crushes State, doesnt pass Texas and then annihilates somone(say, USC) in a BCS bowl, and Florida beats Texas in a close national championship game, is there a chance of a split champ given how the AP has the Sooners ahead of Texas now?

8. Hey, I noticed that the last-string QB at LSU is named McCartney and the broadcast crew mentioned that he's that godbothering coach's grandson. Is he the kid born to Sal Whathisname, the one the team made a creepy cult out of when he died, and the coach's daughter?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ughhhh. THis is bound to happen just to mess everything up. A playoff would solve this, but Saturday's blowout in Norman would have been meaningless.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't know what happens in that case. But if Oklahoma crushes State and assuming Texas beats A&M, my strong guess is that Oklahoma is going to jump Texas based on the human polls, so it will be moot. Guess we'll see.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I don't think it will happen because I think with another convincing win over a top team this week would push Oklahoma over both Texas and Florida in the BCS.
    I also love how Oregon State jumps six EDIT- four spots for barely beating Arizona. Are people padding USC's schedule or were the Beavers that convincing?

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Actually, most of the Nebraskans I've spoken with are pretty excited about seeing FSU or Miami in the Gator Bowl. After the conflagration that was the Bill Callahan era, playing in a New Year's Day bowl, regardless of opponent, would be a welcome to return to (their idea of) normality.

Draft saved Draft deleted