1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True. But it's the price we need to pay.

We need good teachers, and I'm left to believe that teachers who are against cameras are either bad teachers or have a vested interest in protecting bad teachers.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

Typical political hack with racist viewpoints ... says the Staten Island cop should have been indicted.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/393933/staten-island-decision-andrew-c-mccarthy

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Teachers don't have unilateral authority to decide whether you live or die. That's a pretty big difference.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know, that's not what some of my students say. "If I don't get an A in your class my life is over." Sounds like I do have that authority.

5. YankeeFan

So what? They're public employees entrusted with the education of our youth. Their performance in their job is critical.

Cameras would only help parents ensure their kids were getting a proper education, and that their teachers were qualified and engaged.

And, surely teachers would do a better job if they knew they were on camera.

What possible reason is there for any teacher to object to cameras?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There are a lot of guys out there who are losers with the ladies who can study the techniques of these high school guys who are nailing the hot teachers. I'm coming around to this idea.

7. MisterCreosote

I don't know why I'm answering this, but "ensuring proper education" is quite a bit more nebulous than "ensuring black people aren't killed solely for being black."

8. YankeeFan

This sounds like an argument for why putting cameras on cops is more important than putting them on teachers, but it doesn't sound like an argument against putting cameras on teachers.

If I were to raise private funds to put a camera in every classroom in Chicago, is there any reason why any teacher should object?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I didn't say he was stupid. There was a video that showed the entire Staten Island incident. He remains a full-fledged wingnut who has devoted much of the last 10 years or so of his career to writing anti-Muslim, anti-Obama and anti-immigration screeds.

10. MisterCreosote

Probably because "quality education" means 1,000 different things to 1,000 different people and therefore the teacher would always be considered "wrong" by someone, much like with the current "criteria" for judging their performance.

There aren't too many ways to interpret a video of a cop killing someone. It's either justified or it's not. To reasonable people, anyway.

11. YankeeFan

So, there's no reason why cops would object to cameras, but there's every reason for teachers to object.

And, not every incident involving a cop will result in death. Their every move will be scrutinized.

Lastly, as the cop in Staten Island was not indicted by a grand jury of his peers, we have to either determine that a video can be interpreted differently, or that the members of the grand jury are not reasonable.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To your last point, I'm comfortable in saying the members of the Grand Jury are not reasonable.

Draft saved Draft deleted