1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How would it ensure that?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What about this guy?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He must be lying. If there's anyone who knows the plight of black people, it's white people in nearly all-white communities.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

[

But then they might end up going to college and getting a good job. This would lead to them driving through a nice neighborhood while house shopping. Inevitably a police officer with no bias would pull them over because they look suspicious driving a Lexus in the "good" neighborhood. When the better educated "perps" asked why they were pulled over they would be shot dead by the cop with no bias. We would then have another Grand Jury refuse to indict the cop. We would then come to SJ and we would get to learn from old tony that if they would have respected the cop's authority nothing would have happened. The moral to this story is...don't put cameras in classrooms.

6. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Meanwhile, back in Cleveland...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/04/cleveland-police-doj_n_6270220.html

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A totally not racist rant on John T Reed's Facebook page.
    I'm pretty sure there won't be an epidemic of criminals yelling "I can't breathe" when they start losing a fight to a cop and there is no epidemic of homeless people going into emergency rooms with bogus ailments just to get a "hotel stay."
    The guy has issues with black people because when he was a young Army officer, a black mess sergeant mouthed off to him and went unpunished. I don't know why he couldn't have let that slide.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's stipulate that you are right.

That's still not a reason to object to them, right? Any teacher who would oppose cameras must either be a bad teacher, or is looking to protect bad teachers.

I have no objection to the way the conversation is going. But, if MC is going to break out Devilish logic, in which only bad cops would oppose cameras, then he should be willing to apply the same logic to other professions, or admit that even a good cop, who has no interest in protecting bad cops might not want a camera.

NYC has 75,000 teachers and about 35,000 cops. But, since there are cops working 24/7/365, recording and storing their footage is going to be expensive and complex as well. And, that's why the cameras will need to be turned on by the cop wearing them.

My plan just requires one camera per classroom, not per teacher. And, don't worry about the cost. I'm raising private funds to cover it.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Again: Why are we putting cameras in classrooms? Has there been some compelling run of incidents that cameras in the classroom would have cleared up?

If so, go nuts. If not, then quit obfuscating.

10. YankeeFan

How about it indeed. I would welcome this.

When ever I work on a machine, I request an owner/manager/supervisor to come over and see what I'm doing. I prefer to to show them what is wrong, what I'm doing to resolve the problem, and what they can do to prevent a re-occurrence of the issue. if I have to change any parts, I show them why the part failed. And, when an owner/manager/supervisor is not available, I take pictures with my cell phone to document my work.

(Oh, and btw, the odds of someone getting "sick or hurt" from a "faulty machine" are so low it would be hard to quantify. That's not really the risk. The risk is that the repair isn't done right, and the machine continues to operate poorly, or not at all, or that a technician "hangs" parts on the machine -- i.e. replaces parts that are working fine in order to generate a higher bill.)

Cameras would be great for all professions, right?

Can we get a GPS built into them? This way, we'd know if Rick Bragg was really where he said he was. We'd know if Jayson Blair ever left his apartment. And, Sabrina Rubin Erdely's editors at RS could have sat in on some of her interviews with Jackie.

11. YankeeFan

Um, crime is down big time in America in the last several decades.

Inner city schools continue to suck.

Our police forces are success stories. Our schools are nightmares.

If you think there is a "crisis" in our police forces, but not in our classrooms, I don't know what to tell you. And, yes, a lack of an education is a major contributor to crime.

12. YankeeFan

So, Al Sharpton is going to lead a protest march in Washington DC next Saturday.

Sharpton was at a White House meeting with the President this week. He spoke with the President and Attorney General in the aftermath of the Staten Island grand jury's failure to indict the cop. He's a top adviser to our President, the AG, and the Mayor of NYC.

So, who or what exactly is he going to protest. Is someone in DC not listening to his concerns?

Draft saved Draft deleted