1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm a tiny bit uncomfortable with firing government employees for racist statements/beliefs/affiliations.

You kind of have to, but I feel just a little icky.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes.

Don't like the cop's commands? Don't break the law. Or, having doing so, obey their commands. If you object, that's what due process is for.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't think you actually understand what due process is.

4. Baron Scicluna

Actually, I said that they were crazy. And that they were in an environment that could upset anyone. Remember, the environment you are in affects behavior. Or so I've read and heard.

5. Baron Scicluna

Um, yeah, I do. Get arrested, go through due process to prove your guilt. Except that is too hard for some people, especially after going through it 31 times.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So if a cop named Daniel Pantaleo orders you to strip naked, touches your genitals and then orders you to squat and cough on a false claim that he can see drugs in plain view in your car, even though there are none visible, you believe you should follow that order or risk being killed?

So you pretty much just don't believe in the Constitution, that about right?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2700197/Cause-death-not-immediately-clear-350lb-father-died-chokehold-cops-grieving-son-demands-officer-responsible-arrested.html

7. Baron Scicluna

Maybe you should add a couple of zeroes to that number.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Undercover cops bought lucy's from Garner so they did have probable cause
    to make an arrest

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You don't get due process if you are fucking murdered before you are given that opportunity.

It's too bad you didn't have the same moral self resposibility compass when it comes to finances as you do to law and order.

10. Baron Scicluna

You tell the cop that you will consent to that once your lawyer arrives.

See his reaction then.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah so go kill the guy? Come on, we're better than that.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You clearly don't understand what due process rights are.

Due process are the legal rights owed to each of us. It doesn't begin AFTER a random cop decides to engage someone and place them under arrest.

Your due process rights began the day you were born, and the police don't get to break the law in the name of enforcing the law, the way you seem to think is great.

A police command isn't sacrosanct. A cop can't detain me without a warrant or reasonable suspicion. A cop can't search me or my car or my home without a warrant or probable cause. And just because he orders me to let him in my home without that warrant doesn't mean my due process rights have disappeared like a fart in the wind, the way you seem to think.

If I am walking down a street and a cop stops me and orders me to answer a question about where I am going, I have no obligation to obey his command, the way you think I should. Especially if he isn't arresting or detaining me (and if he does, he had better be able to show cause), but under no circumstances. If he decides to crack my skull because he didn't like the way I handled the arrest, he's guilty of assaulting me and abusing his position.

Draft saved Draft deleted