1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So object to his order? Now you're risking being killed.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're not going to get fucking murdered by a cop, except in rare circumstances, if you don't break the law and if you obey the cop's commands.

3. Baron Scicluna

You're not objecting to his order. You're telling him you will comply with his order when you exercise your Constitutional rights to a lawyer. As Ragu would put it, due process.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's not how he's going to tell it.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This officer just falsely claimed he can see illegal drugs in plain view in your car. How well do you think your legal maneuvering is going to go over? You're risking being killed.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now these are NYPD cops I would listen too:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/women-cops-face-discipline-uniform-pics-sexy-site-article-1.2029097

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm walking down the street and a cop orders me to stop. I do what he asked. He asks me, "Where are you going?" I tell him it's none of his business. He says he doesn't like the tone in my voice, so he knocks one of my front teeth out and puts me in cuffs.

Which one of us broke the law, Baron? In your view, was the whole thing my fault for not telling him where I was headed?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not to mention that being "compliant" once you have people physically manhandling you is not as easy as you think. Reflexes and instincts will take over at some point.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But what does your example have to do with Garner circumstances?

10. Baron Scicluna

You tell them you will see them in court and if they harm you, your widow will be seeing them in court to sue them for their house.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot actually.

But I'm wasn't making a parallel to what happened to Eric Garner.

I was responding to Baron's posts about obeying the police, because he believes you don't have rights until you do what they tell you.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And that'll work, because the people who accuse cops of stuff always get the best of them in court.

I can see the cop backing away now.

Draft saved Draft deleted