1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My turn for a hypothetical:

Two groups of people are in the street on two separate days with guns.

One group has applied and received a permit for a gun rights march, and are walking down the street with their guns and protest signs and shouting slogans.

The other group hasn't applied for anything, and they're running down the street waving their weapons in the air and are screaming out expletives.

If you're the police, what do you do? Remember, there's Constitutional rights involved here.

2. Baron Scicluna

It's not fantasy, it's reality for many communities that don't have a lot of crime.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

In this particular scenario, without commenting on Michael Brown or Eric garner?

He broke the law.

You gave him the excuse.

By not simply telling him where you were going (was it really that big a secret?), you allowed him to follow through on the paranoid edge that many police walk, knowing each traffic/pedestrian stop could be their last.

But it is likely the government will pay for your dental surgery, yes.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Quite an interesting turn that the "no tax is too high and the IRS can do no wrong" crowd is now upset about cops trying to arrest a tax cheat.

5. Baron Scicluna

Precisely.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You know about as much of how law enforcement works as you do on how newspapers work.

It is also pretty clear you are white, live in a more rural area and have little to no contact with anything that resembles reality.

7. Baron Scicluna

So you're saying that it's more risky for police in areas that aren't white and rural? Interesting.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Once again, you are demonstrating that you have no concept of what your rights are and what "due process" actually means.

When the police arrest someone, and a prosecutor gets an indictment, that person is ACCUSED of breaking the law.

You are not found guilty of what you are accused until a PROCESS designed to protect the rights of potentially innocent people who get accused is adhered to.

That process doesn't begin with your arbitrary notion of who was guilty (Eric Garner was breaking the law!) -- and therefore are less deserving of their rights than someone you, or the police in their zeal to dispense instant justice, have decided wasn't guilty of breaking the law.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) There is no excuse. The police are not above the law, and it's particularly disgusting when people try to make them above the law in the name of enforcing the law.

2) It's as much of a secret as *I* want it to be. I have a right not to talk to a cop if I don't want to. And if he doesn't have a warrant or probable cause to detain me, I have a right to be on my way. It's not incumbent upon me to justify my business to him. It's none of his business. It's incumbent on him to have a LEGAL reason for intruding in my life. And if he does have a legal reason and detains me, I have guaranteed rights that he has to respect.

10. Baron Scicluna

So if everyone is innocent until proven guilty, as we all know, then why are people running or resisting arrest?

11. Baron Scicluna

In terms of No. 2. Very true. But in the Garner case, the cop did have a legal reason for intruding into his life. They were attempting to detain him. They were attempting to respect his legal rights.

But he fought back. They had to use force to detain him. One cop used force that is not against the law, but against department policy. Had he not died, he would have had his legal rights to fight his charge.

Put it another way. Instead of the chokehold, if they had just tried to wrestle him to the ground and he banged his head on the pavement and died, would there be such outrage?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why would a certain type of person in this country fear an interaction with a police officer and want to get away from it? In *this* thread you ask that?

Draft saved Draft deleted