1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Shocking that the self-proclaimed board "libertarian," (quotation marks intended) is clueless about civil disobedience, and that he doesn't recognize it in action.

Nobody claimed that you have a "constitutional right," to block traffic (with your quotation marks or not).

But you are correct. Anyone blocking traffic as a form of protest is breaking a law and should be prepared to deal with the consequences. As I'd guess they are.

Your ideas about what are the acceptable and unacceptable forms of civil disobedience are noted (because it's apparently not about being noticed, it's about not being a "fucking asshole" and not pissing anyone off). And your opinion that they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law is noted, as well. Bull Conner couldn't have said it any better.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Newspapers should send their delivery people and trucks into the streets to block traffic. That might get the newspapers noticed in a tough marketplace.

Also wondering, now that the wife and daughter of Eric Garner have said this is not a black/white issue ... is it a police brutality issue? Is that what the "I can't breathe" tag lines are about? It would be nice to know exactly what it is that's being protested before throwing one's lot in with those objecting to ... one aspect of this case? Two? Three aspects?

If it's that there should be a better way to take a suspect into custody, OK, let's get that on the table. Let's accompany the discussion with a reminder to all not to resist arrest.

At some level, this is like a crusade against the poor quality of needles available to heroin addicts. Ideally, most people never have their lives touched by it. It's only a problem if an individual willingly enters the realm by not heeding laws and then by not obeying officers' instructions. Lot of free will available to thwart this problem.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now she tells us:
    http://nypost.com/2014/12/08/eric-garners-widow-denies-race-was-chokehold-motive/

“I don’t even feel like it’s a black-and-white thing, honestly, you know, in my opinion,” Snipes told NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“He tried working with the Parks Department. But he had asthma. You know? He had issues. You know? Heavy guy. And he was very lazy. You know? He didn’t like to do anything,” she said.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The reason I am not out personally protesting is that I don't see a coherent message among the people I have seen protesting, and to some degree it has largely turned into sheep walking around the city and chanting canned things at the cops, who stand there and take it. That doesn't mean that many of the protesters aren't sincere, and that they aren't protesting a legitimate police problem that actually exists. And I respect anyone who feels that way and is out there. I do think that we have a justice system that is inherently unfair to some people and more sympathetic to others.

I think that it begins with the police. That observation is not simply about Eric Garner -- although what happened to him, in particular, was horrific. He is just a symbol that brought a lot of people's frustrations with a systematic problem to a boil. We have a criminal justice process that is patently unfair in how it treats people. It's discriminatory, if not by design, then by how it works in practice.

Joe, I'll assume the newspaper thing was a quip, and that you weren't serious. I'll also assume you can tell the difference between that and civil disobedience designed to lodge a protest, and effect change, in favor of people's rights. We are not talking about things people want" We are talking about our guaranteed human rights, which are universal, and a segment of people who think that their rights are being denied.

This has nothing to do with heroin needles not being available to heroin addicts. I found that analogy ridiculous. Unless you are living under the delusion that the police are clairvoyant, and that Eddie the cop with his GED and his score on the police exam that got him into the academy, can (and should) predetermine who is guilty and who isn't. And you believe that the punishment for your predetermined guilt begins the minute a cop engages you. Because that is what you are saying when you say, "If you don't want a cop to do anything bad to you, don't be a criminal" (paraphrasing you).

Our criminal justice system, from the bottom to the top, is broken. Minorities and poor people are treated differently than whites and people in middle and upper class neighborhoods. At the extreme, that has ended up with some very sketchy incidents in the last year that created dead bodies and a lot of media attention.

This isn't something that popped up last year or in the last decade. It's always been that way. It's gotten better in some ways and things like camera phones and cable news and the internet will continue to help make it even better still. But it still sucks, because the system itself is broken. That is why I don't understand anyone who isn't sympathetic to what is underlying those protests. The only reason NOT to be sympathetic, that I can see, is that you aren't seeing the reality of a system that is unfair to a lot of people, or you are racist or discriminatory.

Also, who the cops arrest or choose not to arrest has nothing to do with any accused person's guilt or innocent -- when you are accused, you are not found guilty or innocent of anything until a process has been adhered to. And there is actually a presumption of innocence in our country. Don't you agree that the cops should be treating everyone equally in their interactions? That includes WHO they choose to interact with (they operate with discretion), not just how they do it. As someone who is afraid of being falsely accused, I like that system better than the delusional one you seem to be advocating -- "The cops only bother the criminals, so I am cool."

Also, being accused in the first place, is supposed to be something serious -- we devoted a chunk of the bill of rights to addressing the rights of the accused. Once the cops pick and choose who to arrest in the first place (and again, there is nothing fair and equal about this, in practice), you have prosecutors with the discretion to move forward, and how. Minorities and poor people (who can't afford an attorney) get a substantially different version of justice than someone who can pay their way out of harsher punishment -- or pay their way out entirely.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think all cops are super geniuses, but I'm not sure why you're pushing this stereotype either:

6. Boom_70

I wondered that too. Fighting one stereo type with another. I know a bunch of
    cops in NYPD that have Master's degrees. All could have done a lot of things but wanted to be cops. At least "Eddie" got his GED degree.

7. YankeeFan

Eddie sounds kind of lazy, but not as lazy as Eric Garner.

8. YankeeFan

I wish Ragu would tell us some more about dumb Eddie. Does he have six kids he can't support?

9. Boom_70

Yea, even his wife said that he was lazy. And why would you go to work for
    The Parks Department with asthma. Sounds like a recipe for disaster every spring.

The guy has asthma and is selling cigarettes. How in-congruent is that?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He deserved to die. Lazy fuck. ::)

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless the cop has two years in the military need to have at least 60 college credits to qualify. Only way "Eddie" just has a GEd if he was in the military.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/careers/application_overview.shtml

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Instead of the now ubiquitous "I cant breathe" t-shirt in fashion with pro athletes as a a protest, or the 'we give up pose', how about they take a real stance and boycott? That will get lasting attention.
    Words are cheap when there is no expectation of recupercusions

Draft saved Draft deleted