1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Officer Pete Figowski can't support his 4 daughters because he's dead. Shot while on burglary call in Brooklyn by an African American just released from jail after serving time for armed robbery, with an illegal hand gun to boot.

Officer Figoski’s Four Daughters Will Receive $80,000 in Education Funds from Silver Shield Foundation
    Press Release from… Silver Shield Foundation Press Contact:
    Steve Mangione 914-403-4072 (mobile) or 718-518-1600 (office) FOR RELEASE TUESDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2011

The daughters of slain police officer Peter Figoski will receive $80,000 in education funds from Silver Shield Foundation, the organization announced today.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Eddie and Eric sound like the kind of lazy guys we all know. You know, the guys too lazy to even get off their couch to vote.

3. YankeeFan

Ragu is too smart, and too well informed, to not know this about the NYPD, which is why I don't understand why he is trying to stereotype cops as knuckle dragging GED holders, who were lucky enough to pass a civil servant exam.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry if the stereotype bothered you, YF. Apparently it detracted from the point you aren't addressing. We live in a free society. When someone in law enforcement gets handed a badge and a gun to do his or her job, it doesn't give them authority at their discretion (whether they have a GED or 20 advanced degrees from Cambridge, if you know that cop) to decide who is bad and play judge and jury and dispense instant justice as they see fit.

And if you don't understand why I have taken pains to point that out, go back through this thread and look at all of the posts about how Eric Garner was a "criminal," therefore what happened to him is somehow more justifiable than if it had happened to someone who wasn't a criminal.

I found that sentiment horrifying on the face of it.

But it's also just wrong. At the moment of his death, Eric Garner was about to be ACCUSED of something by the cops (the kind of crime that would have gotten me a summons at worst, not 5 cops taking me down, but that is an entirely other story).

If you are ever falsely accused of something, you'll likely come to an instant understanding about the difference between the cops treating you like "the accused," who has rights. ... and the cops treating you like a "criminal." We should all be vigilant about making sure everyone gets treated like the first -- whether it's Eric Garner or your dear sweet grandmother. When you treat the person think is the worst that way, it is what ensures that YOU will be treated that way, too.

5. Boom_70

In related news today Gold opened today at $1192 per oz.

6. YankeeFan

Eddie's smarter cousin wanted to become a cop in Connecticut, but they wouldn't have him:

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The vast, vast, vast majority of arrests are of people who are guilty of the crime for which they're being arrested (or some reasonable facsimile). To suggest otherwise is silly.

That doesn't invalidate the rest of your point(s). But let's not pretend that the jails are full of people who bumped up against some policeman/woman itchin' to make an arrest.

8. YankeeFan

I'm just not sure why you couldn't make your broader point without the denigrating -- and patently false, in regards to the NYPD -- stereotype.

9. Boom_70

You can certainly question the take down/arrest as wrong but to say "falsely accused"
    seems completely uninformed. It's not in question that Garner has been illegally selling cigarettes and also had been arrested previously for same offense. Cut to his wife:

Snipes insisted that during his numerous run-ins with cops, Garner had never resisted arrest, which cops say was the reason for the fatal July 17 takedown.

“I’m not going to say he was a career criminal, but I’m going to say he had a past of being arrested,” Snipes said. “And he never, not once, ever resisted arrest.”

Snipes said cops even knew her husband “by name” and routinely “harassed” the couple when they went out shopping.

“They said things to us: ‘Hi, Cigarette Man. Hey, Cigarette Man Wife.’ You know? Stuff like that,” she said.

10. YankeeFan

I'd like to know what folks think these cops that arrested Eric Garner should have done.

If their supervisors -- and this goes all the way to the top -- didn't want them arresting guys who repeatedly sold loosies on street corners, they wouldn't have chosen to arrest him.

I'm also curious to what people think an arrest of a 6'5" 350lb guy who doesn't want to be arrested looks like. It's like the Ray Rice video in some way. Did you think this was some neat procedure until you actually saw it? It's going to be messy.

The idea that they shouldn't have been "hassling" Eric Garner, or that they should have declined to arrest him when he told them to leave him alone, and that "this ends today" is ludicrous.

Even the idea that selling loosies in front of the neighborhood convenience store is not a big deal is funny. Yeah, I'm sure we'd all have no problem with it if it was happening in our neighborhoods, right? No one would call the cops. No one would ask why, despite repeated complaints to the police, there is still someone selling cigarets on their neighborhood street corner.

11. Boom_70

Who cares if the convenience store owner was losing money. He was probably some Pakistani here illegal who's brother is terriorist back home.

As far as Garner take down it seems like the police should have just blown some
    ragweed in his face to immobilize him.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I thought the NYPD were not to use the chokehold. That's one thing that could have been done differently.

Draft saved Draft deleted