1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea if he was falsely accused. He never got to a trial, anyhow. I have no idea if he would have pled guilty or defended himself against the charge. For all any of us know for sure, he would have put the cop accusing him on the stand and proven to a jury that the cop was lying, and walked out of the courthouse a free man.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Garner's guilt or innocence with regard to selling untaxed cigarettes has no bearing on whether the officer should have been indicted on criminal charges. None.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But what gives you the impression that Garner was not "presumed innocent"?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I had the same thought when I first read this.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree.

6. YankeeFan

It's unclear that what was used on Garner, as defined by the NYPD guidelines, constitutes a chokehold.

The Commissioner isn't definitive when asked about it: http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2014/12/8557856/bratton-hedges-chokehold-vows-no-mass-arrests

And, the grand jury either found it not to be an illegal act, or that there was no intent.

The cop that took Garner down was taking down someone much larger than himself. He definitely has his arm around Garner's neck for a few seconds, but he never locks it in by grasping his other arm. And, as soon as he can, he lets go of the neck.

Now, the simple fact that Garner was able to say, "I can't breathe," 11 times is proof that, in fact, he could breathe. If your air is cut off, you can't talk.

I think Garner panicked. Instead of breathing, he panicked. This is a 350lb guy, with asthma, and a bad heart, thanks to his obesity, and lack of exercise. This was surly the most physical activity he had engaged in for quite some time.

And, it is sad. But, he didn't die "because he was a criminal". He was arrested in an aggressive manner because he resisted arrest. The physical nature of that arrest, combined with his health, led to his death.

It's sad, but it doesn't make the cop who took him down criminally responsible.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

+2

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This too.

9. YankeeFan

It's not the cops on the beat's decision to enforce, or turn a blind eye to this activity.

It's been the NYPD's policy for two decades to crack down on petty crimes, and it's been extremely effective.

And, I challenge anyone here who mocks the enforcement of the law to tell me that they would have no problem with this kind of activity happening in their neighborhood.

Or, just for kicks, go try and sell loosies in front of your own neighborhood convenience store, and share your experiences with us.

10. YankeeFan

Who has argued anything different?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can we get back to whether cameras should be placed in all classrooms?

12. YankeeFan

We should start in Staten Island as a pilot program. Sounds like a fucked up place.

Draft saved Draft deleted