1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

Is he wrong?

He's not responsible for the collecting forensic evidence. This is what the forensics show.

It's what was presented to the grand jury. Does anyone dispute it?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How do you tell the difference between a bull-charging demon-faced blood trail and a turning around to surrender because holy shit he's shooting at me blood trail?

3. YankeeFan

If he's surrendering, why is he moving back towards Wilson?

4. RickStain

Because holy shit I'm being shot doesn't lead itself to rational decisions.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The answer is to just decriminalize assault. If people know they can attack without repercussions, then I'm sure they wouldn't hurt anyone too bad.

That way, if a person is attacked -- especially a cop -- he/she can just take the deserved beating, knowing that an individual is just exercising his right to blow off a little steam, and we'll all be better for it as a society.

If we are willing to let criminals release their frustrations more often, then maybe we'll start to understand they're just like us and they will feel more accepted.

Someday, someday.

6. YankeeFan

You're reaching.

Even those lacking the ability to make rational decisions don't move towards the bullets. You go away. You stop. You go down to the ground.

Walking into bullets isn't just irrational, it's suicidal.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So everybody gets the same coverage as cops? Good idea.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is exactly why people have a problem believing Wilson's story.

9. YankeeFan

We should all learn to be happy victims like this guy:

Last weekend, my housemate and I were mugged at gunpoint while walking home from Dupont Circle. The entire incident lasted under a minute, as I was forced to the floor, handed over my phone and was patted down.

And yet, when a reporter asked whether I was surprised that this happened in Georgetown, I immediately answered: “Not at all.” It was so clear to me that we live in the most privileged neighborhood within a city that has historically been, and continues to be, harshly unequal. While we aren’t often confronted by this stark reality west of Rock Creek Park, the economic inequality is very real.

Year after year, Washington, D.C., is ranked among the most unequal cities in the country, with the wealthiest 5 percent earning an estimated 54 times more than the poorest 20 percent. According to the D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute, just under 20 percent of D.C. residents live below the poverty line.

What has been most startling to me, even more so than the incident itself, have been the reactions I’ve gotten. I kept hearing “thugs,” “criminals” and “bad people.” While I understand why one might jump to that conclusion, I don’t think this is fair.

Not once did I consider our attackers to be “bad people.” I trust that they weren’t trying to hurt me. In fact, if they knew me, I bet they’d think I was okay. They wanted my stuff, not me. While I don’t know what exactly they needed the money for, I do know that I’ve never once had to think about going out on a Saturday night to mug people. I had never before seen a gun, let alone known where to get one. The fact that these two kids, who appeared younger than I, have even had to entertain these questions suggests their universes are light years away from mine.

http://www.thehoya.com/i-was-mugged-and-i-understand-why/

10. YankeeFan

Why.

He didn't stop, or go down.

And, while he originally ran, he was not shot in the back, and he was 25-35 feet away from where he was first shot (aside from the shots fired in the car) when he finally went down.

He was coming towards Wilson.

11. RickStain

False choice fallacy

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How many tissues have you gone through on this thread, Rick?

Draft saved Draft deleted