1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

You are trusting the media to tell you that. Thats a mistake. All these voices saying how he abused his discretion or took some other nefarious actions are just the media playing up a story. Keeping it going. Playing to the street.
    He's not the last in the line, that is his function. Dont like the way he does his job, vote him out. If this is a protest against the prcoess, change it. If this is a protest aganist the outcome, tough shit and burn the bitch down. But thats the end of due process. Its mob process, now.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Of course his behavior was unusual, but that was because this was an unusual case. Had he behaved in the usual fashion, there's a damn good chance that this never would have gotten as far as it did.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The prosecutor failed to do his job here; plain and simple. He rigged the presentation so that he could have deniability for not going after Mr. Wilson "see, it was the grand jury, not me!" At the very least, there was probable cause. How else to interpret a shot to the top of a head of an unarmed person?

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

He brought it to a grand jury to make it look like he was doing his due diligence and to take himself off the hook. "Look, I did what I was supposed to do. It's not my fault the grand jury didn't indict." Maybe he didn't think the grand jury testimony would be released. I don't know. But it's clear he didn't try to get an indictment, which is out of the ordinary in 99% of these proceedings.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The community tied the score with Seldin Dzananovic.

Next homicide wins the series.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But Eric Holder and DOJ stepped in to insure that investigation was fair. I think it's
    safe to assume that if Holder did not like the process he would have said something.

Even after decision I see no quotes from Holder saying that he disagreed with process.
    McCulloch even made reference to Holder's involvement a number of times in post decision
    press conference.

7. Boom_70

I saw that.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't piss off a cop like this: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1550221148555611

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My new hero: Tyree Landrum of San Diego. While some San Diego trust fund college kids and other protestors shut down Interstate 5, Tyree had to go to work.

"I got to go to Ross right now, homie," Landrum yelled that morning. "If I don't get there, I'm going to get fired. I got six f------ kids to feed. I gotta get this car off the.... Day goes on homie. M------------ get shot every f------ day. Deal with it the right f------ way. Not like this."

Landrum works three jobs, nurses were prevented from going to work.

The video is awesome.

http://www.kfiam640.com/onair/john-and-ken-37487/donors-raise-cash-for-san-diego-13020543/

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

IANAL, but I don't believe that's true unless there's something specific to this case. You can have a preliminary hearing instead.

11. Boom_70

No argument there. Man Rick you own this thread and the rest of us are just playing in your sandbox.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There are two choices for the prosecutor, either file charges yourself and then defendant has the option to request a preliminary hearing to have a judge determine whether there is probable cause that a crime was committed, or present evidence to a grand jury and have them issue a finding of probable cause (indictment) which eliminates any preliminary hearing.

Notice, the prosecutor has total control over the grand jury proceeding, decides what to present, accused does not get to appear nor witness what is going on, and the grand jury just decides if and when enough has been presented for a finding of probable cause. His heart was simply not into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted