1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

It is still the law in the United States in many places, even in Missouri. It's a legal body, it's a legal procedure and it's within the discretion of the prosecutor to use it. He did, it worked. Some people, not everyone, did not get the result they wanted. So lets get some free liquor, free flat screens and burn some property.
    As the late Marion Barry said, Get Over It.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here's story from NYT of Special Prosecutor presenting Howard Beach Case to Grand Jury
    that ended up with indictment's

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/01/21/nyregion/grand-jury-is-presented-racial-attack-evidence.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Ar%2C{%221%22%3A%22RI%3A7%22}

[​IMG]

Rev Al leading Howard Beach protest march.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You brought up the grand jury, heyabbott. You suggested that grand juries are long established and are something that are proven to do a good job of eliciting justice. I responded to your post, because that is ridiculous. Grand juries have always been subject to a ton of criticism because they are rubber stamps.

In fact, it's the opposite of what you suggested. A lot of countries USED TO HAVE grand jury systems. Every one has gotten rid of them, EXCEPT the U.S. And even within the U.S., many jurisdictions no longer use them because they suck. There is also no need for them, even in jurisdictions that cling to them. The prosecutor in St. Louis could have gotten an indictment without a grand jury. He selectively used a grand jury to get the outcome he wanted.

So basically, you are on board with the uneven application of justice, because the grand jury gave the outcome you personally think was good. And if someone points out that various people aren't treated equally before the law when you have that kind of chicanery at work (in response to what you posted), it's "well, it's the law, so get over it."

I'll bet with certainty that if some antiquated institution that can be manipulated any which way rendered a result you personally disagreed with, you'd be singing a different tune. Although I am certain your tune would still conflate everything with, "get free liquor," because in your narrow mind that begins and ends the conversation.

4. heyabbott

What I am on board with is that the prosecutor used a legally impanelled Grand Jury, for a legitimate purpose. He used the discretion he legally has to perform his function. I am not saying whether I agree of disagree with the result only that he did nothing illegal and I do not believe he abused his discretion. Whether Grand Juries serve a useful function today is a different argument.

I am not asking what the prosecutor did wrong, only asking if he acted within the existing law and procedures. Everything else is result oriented.
    And Yes, I abhor the riots that continue to fester when some govermental body doesnt act in a way that conforms to the beliefs of a group of people.
    When Football Williams was convicted of lesser offenses in the attack on Reginald Denny, I thought that was a travesty of justice, and don't think I was alone. THose of us with the same point of view didnt terrorize a city to make our point. Nor did we call for end to the citizen jury system, which is rarely in the rest of the world today.

The Ferguson iots/protests are about a result, and thats wrong. If its about process, then chenge the process via democracy. When democracy fails, then it will be either all riot or all despotsim.

5. Boom_70

You nailed it. Process did not matter. It was the results that mattered. If arrest was made
    and case ended up with acquittal by jury they would have said that McCulloch should have convened a Grand Jury and got indictments first.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I cited a very specific example of what the prosecution did wrong and it got ignored in favor of concern trolling.

7. The Big Ragu

heyabbott, Nobody was having a discussion about whether the use of a grand jury is lawful -- except you.

But you went a step further. You betrayed your bias with the post about how well established grand juries are and the great purpose they serve as a "check."

Which is bullshit.

But whatever. I never suggested the prosecutor did anything illegal, the gist of your last post. I am talking about a flawed system of justice -- what you called the process -- that allows a prosecutor to treat people differently before the law, depending on whether they want to go prosecute or not.

That has nothing to do with the riots or someone who stole a TV set -- anymore than something someone else posts on here is attributable to you because you both post on the message board -- making you tangentially related. When you drag the riots or the bad actions of this person or that with a conversation about whether justice was served by the way that prosecutor handled the potential indictment, you again betray your biases. They both relate to Ferguson. But the rioters don't have any bearing on whether that officer was treated the same way others get treated by that prosecutor.

My question is, do YOU think that the process employed by that prosecutor was fair (not legal, the way you are trying to frame it to avoid talking about whether the law is equitable in its application)?

8. heyabbott

I think the process was fair. It is wrong to indict someone if you know, really know, they will not be convicted because while the evidence might support PC it will never satisfy beyond a reasonable doubt. If a prosecutor cant get 9 of 12 to believe in a one sided, legal, presentation of facts, there's no way a conviction would be obtained.
    It is completely wrong to charge a defendant just to exact the punishment of being charged. If it cant be proven, then it should nt be charged.
    I wish all defendants' cases were treated with such an exacting standard as this. But the process is legal and fair.

9. The Big Ragu

An indictment requires probable cause. Not some mushy made-up standard about who and who may or may not engender reasonable doubt at trial. ... BEFORE a case can even be put together.

Again, we have a justice system that railroads certain people -- wrong side of the tracks, wrong skin color, pissed off the wrong person, but goes easy on more privileged classes of people. A fair system would put everyone equally before the law and let the system itself determine the reasonable doubt.

Furthermore, you don't know any more than I do how this could have played out in a trial with a motivated prosecutor. We don't know what evidence they could have presented, the case they could have put on and how easily they could have shredded the cop's version of what happened (or not).

Nobody suggested that the cop should have been charged to "exact the punishment of being charged," the way you said. He should have been charged if there was probable cause to believe he committed murder. That is a ridiculously easy standard to get an indictment whenever a prosecutor WANTS to get the indictment. But in this case, the prosecutor didn't want it.

Unfortunately, we don't have a system that applies that probable cause standard in a uniform way -- so we are all equal before the law -- because some people who get accused get indicted like its a bodily function. This was the rare time that system was used to ensure there was no indictment, and you just told me that you think the process was fair. Cool beans.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Going to the grand jury was fine, McCulloch used it in a funny way to get an outcome that people were screaming would happen if McCulloch didn't recuse himself and appoint a special prosecutor. He brought forward witnesses that would never have been allowed in court because their testimony was suspect. He went out of his way to present Officer Wilson's side of events and the inevitable outcome was a failure to receive an indictment.

McCulloch looked like he was in bed with the cops before he went to the grand jury and that appearance is exacerbated since he went to the grand jury. Appointing a special prosecutor who either went to the grand jury and had the same outcome, went and received an indictment or simply bypassed the GJ all together and still failed to convict would have come off better in the long run.

Everything about this case screams cronyism and coverup. Even in the event Wilson is telling the 100 percent truth and fired his weapon at an 18-year-old who was charging at him after already trying to steal his gun once, you go out of your way to make sure your actions don't muddy that narrative.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sorry, Ragu, you're off the rails there. Grand jury or no, the prosecutor has the power to treat people differently before the law. Now matter how you slice it, that's the way it is.

As regards the use of the grand jury ... well, I am of course no legal expert, but I would assume that a former Assistant U.S. Attorney would be. Here's the position of just such a man:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/393642/progressive-mythography-andrew-c-mccarthy/page/0/1

I recognize that my appeal to authority may not pass RickStain muster -- who among us can summon the strength to enter that pantheon of demigods? -- I think it does at a minimum justify heyabbott's position (and that of others) vis-a-vis the grand jury's use and actions.

12. Boom_70

"Everything about this case screams cronyism and coverup"

Are you then suggesting that Eric Holder and the DOJ are part of this coverup since
    they were involved in the investigation ?

Draft saved Draft deleted