1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

No, I am suggesting this case was so poorly handled that even if we know the truth, it is hard to believe it.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But wouldn't "everything" include Eric Holder and The DOJ?

I held out high hope that their involvement would ensure a fair process and a
    result that was accepted by all.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes, I am disappointed with how the DOJ allowed this farce to happen. I am hoping the feds pull a page from the 1960s playbook and bring Wilson up on charges of violating Brown's civil rights. It won't happen and it's maddening.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Michael c. McCarthy? This may be an appeal to a fellow wing nut but certainly not a reputable authority.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You just reiterated what I was saying. The prosecutor has the power to treat people differently before the law. Indeed.

So I look at how that works out in practice, in the context of this case. I see, say plenty of black guys who come from the wrong addresses, accused with lesser evidence than there was in this case getting railroaded through the system and compare it to this case where the prosecutor was doing everything NOT to indict. ... and rather than say, "Aw gee, that's the way it is," I point out that it isn't fair.

If that puts me off the rails, I am glad to be off the train you think I should be on. That is a SHITTY, UNFAIR system -- in practice -- of justice. And people who seem so eager to defend that system raise my suspicions.

Your appeal to authority -- as convincing as his "the Left's race mythology" presentation of his OPINION was ::) -- is a huge problem for me. He suggests that the use of a grand jury was a farce. But not to worry, cause we can just trust him, it got the outcome it should have gotten. Gee, that makes it so much easier to swallow.

Plus, I call bullshit on "guilt is not in doubt in most criminal cases. Overwhelmingly, they are open and shut," therefore. ... they only prosecute the ones where the guy is OBVIOUSLY guilty.

That is pure crap. And if you have any doubt, I'll be happy to detail hundreds of those open and shut cases (including the ones with the confessions) in which the people convicted were later exonerated.

The narrative closer to reality (not the National Review version) is that prosecutors make whatever cases they are motivated to prosecute into open and shut cases.

6. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the rebuttal of this post.

It certainly aims to debunk the theory that the DA, a wanna-be cop, went out of his way to protect the killer cop.

It also suggests that but for the racial unrest surrounding the case, it never would've seen the inside of either a grand jury room or a courthouse.

This is not a story being widely told in the press. Why is that?

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Sorry. Hadn't been on the site for several days. You can often get a great deal of that in through effective cross-examination of the state's witnesses, especially when - as in this case - the defendant provided a detailed statement to investigators.

Everything that's in this statement here can come in through the state's witnesses as long as they put the investigators who took that statement on the stand. And if they don't put that investigator on the stand, well, then the state's case will have a whole the size of a Mack truck in it.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1370766-interview-po-darren-wilson.html

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

By the fact that the former happened and the latter didn't?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Really? I don't think we read the same article.

That article said "The DA was in the tank but he had to be because the mean lefties forced him to be."

10. RickStain

Well, that does settle a lot.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Andrew C. McCarthy ... You know, the guy who prosecuted the World Trade Center bombers (the Blind Sheik et al.) in 1993. Pretty sure he'd be a reputable authority on how grand juries work and how they're used (and when they're not).

Come on, Ragu. The overwhelming majority of cases (90 to 95 percent) don't even get to the indict-or-not stage; the accused pleads guilty almost always. Only a very, very small portion of cases actually wind up being substantively weighed by grand juries. Now of these, a very, very large portion go on to trial. But that's because prosecutors tend to take to grand juries only those cases for which they're very confident probable cause can be demonstrated.

12. RickStain

And once again, there was almost no chance of a conviction. And maybe there shouldn't have been an indictment. But that doesn't change that the way that the PA behaved was inappropriate.

He faced pressure for an indictment because the local police mishandled the case badly from the moment it happened, but that doesn't justify him mishandling the case as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted