1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

The prosecutor is the one who insisted it be released, and did indeed release it the same evening he made his announcement.

This is very rare.

At first, he said he was going to ask the judge to release it, but then withdrew that request, because he said that he had the right to do it, as it was a "closed case".

He said that he thought that Missouri's "sunshine laws" could be used to compel the testimony to be released, but he did not wait for any lawsuits, or Freedom of Information requests. He just released it.

So, yeah, I think he suspected it might be released.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is no federal requirement. States may have different rules. I don't believe Missouri does, but I'm open to be corrected

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes and no. No counsel can accompany a witness into the grand jury room. But, a witness may leave the Grand Jury room to consult with an attorney outside of the room and then come back into the Grand Jury and testify. I witness can take the 5th in a Grand Jury. In Maryland. Im not sure about the Feds and each state can be different

I have seen defense counsel request that their clients testify before the Grand Jury. In the right instance it would be advisable. If Wilson was indicted, his testimony before the Grand Jury would have been a horrible move.

4. YankeeFan

Andrew C., and he prosecuted the Blind Sheik, who still rots in jail.

5. YankeeFan

Right. And, since he did appear, I'm guessing he's at the very least allowed to appear -- as opposed to not being allowed to appear.

I don't know for sure if he has an absolute right to appear, but it looks like that's the case in at least some states.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The writer of this piece is the guy who became known as "Pajama Boy" for posing in an Obamacare ad. A stupid hipster inside and out.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. YankeeFan

Seriously? It's the same guy, or are you making a joke?

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://bit.ly/1tKdhbj

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Unless any of these folks were Missouri prosecutors, their opinions on the grand jury in Ferguson are meaningless. There are so many variances in laws, practices and rules from state to state that it is reckless for former prosecutors from other states to speak about the Missouri grand jury without significant qualifications.

For example, in my state prosecutors are barred from entering the grand jury room. When I worked as a prosecutor, I routinely asked for indictments and my only control was in presenting the GJ with options for charges and the witnesses who would testify. That has little bearing on Ferguson because the system there is so different.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's okay, Rick. I knew you weren't honest enough to admit the hypocrisy. Bottom line is you have plenty of company in constantly making assumptions about this case and it has been that way since the very beginning. It is just comical coming from somebody who demands proof when it suits him, then is happy to abandon that burden when it does not.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rick S owns this thread

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And I knew you weren't interested in understanding subtle distinctions.

And I also know *exactly* how much respect I have for your distaste of unfounded accusations, which lasts precisely as long as it gets you into an argument and disappears the moment you feel like taking shots.

Draft saved Draft deleted