1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

But he's a white male Republican, how can we have faith?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He's an urban, East Coast white male Republican. That's slightly higher up on the food chain.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's probably just a political hack with racist viewpoints. Probably couldn't spell grand jury if you spotted him the C and the T.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Crand Tury?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"And just as St. Louis Prosecutor Robert McCulloch did with Officer Wilson, District Attorney Donovan brought in Officer Pantaleo to testify in his own defense, without being subject to adversarial cross examination."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2014/1203/Eric-Garner-grand-jury-probe-shows-similarities-to-Michael-Brown-case

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On the push for federally-funded body cams for police...

Is this really something the Hands Up/Don't Shoot backers really want?

A law enforcement officer, even with a median-level of brain engagement, would probably be on his most professional behavior when entering a tense situation. He knows it will be recorded and, likely, reviewed by his supervisors and even the media.

A citizen probably won't be as aware, especially when talking with police. I know, the few times I have been pulled over, I'm a wreck -- and I have nothing to hide.

Instead of the he said/he said of a case like this, this might actually take away the narratives of police brutality but make the suspects look worse when the clips are played back in every television market.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And yet it's the cops who don't want it, even though everybody KNOWS it will make the cops look better.

Funny that.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. Next question?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's a good point. A good window into how it might look is what you see on
    COPS TV show.

The police come across as very professional and the suspects not so good.

Most look like they are high on something with bad haircuts, bad dental work
    and gravy stained clothing.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Nicole Wallace on The View: "I think if you put a camera on every cop, we'll be amazed at how heroic, and how good, and how decent the vast majority of them are."

Probably true, with the added bonus of documenting the not-insignificant number of cops who are none of those things.

Therefore, I'm left to believe the cops who are against cameras are either bad cops or have a vested interest in protecting bad cops.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I read something about this the other day that some of the concern by municipalities involves FOIA issues (such as the cost of complying with FOIA requests while also ensuring that other directives are met). I can't find the link, but there was some small town out west that was all but bankrupted by complying with FOIA requests.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed on your last point.

A handful of the departments where I live have them and the cops tell me they appreciate having them. Makes prosecution much easier because, they said, most of the suspects are still unaware they're being recorded.

Draft saved Draft deleted