1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Re: Ferguson Decision -- No Indictment

There's nothing in FOIA that would prevent these municipalities from charging a fee to fulfill most FOIA requests. And, while I'm sure there would be a deluge of requests for camera footage at first, that would subside pretty quickly, I'd think.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the details of the town you read about. ... but that is funny on the face of it. Why would a municipality incur any cost for an FOIA request?

They charge research, or labor fees, when you make a request, charge you for any copies, and make you pay for the shipping of the materials.

At worst, for any government agency (but especially a small municipality), it should be a minor nuisance that requires mindlessly making copies of whatever information the person requested and putting them in the mail.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Then they're doing it wrong. Ferguson charges exorbitant fees for complying with FOIA requests: http://crooksandliars.com/2014/09/ferguson-police-charging-outrageous-fee

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The story I read -- and, dammit, I absolutely cannot find it* -- was some small municipality/village from which thousands of FOIA requests came per year from only one or two requesters. And the requests were like, "I want every email sent between X and Y over the last 5 years." To track all those down, then redact privileged/confidential information, was overwhelming that very small entity's budget.

Apparently the issue is that with body cams on police, you have to be sure that you're protecting the rights of lots of innocent bystanders. And handling all that is, or could be, a lot costlier than you think.

*I've tried dozens of Google search terms. But I know I didn't dream it, because: 1) I think body cams are a good thing; and 2) it never occurred to me that the intersection between FOI laws and body cams would be troublesome. Also, I absolutely am not looking to do a Rolling Stone piece on gadfly citizen activists. :D

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just tie the cameras to The Patriot Act where no one has any rights. Problem solved.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

SI Advance reporting no indictment from Garner grand jury.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2014/12/reports_staten_island_grand_ju.html#incart_maj-story-1

7. Boom_70

yikes. Staten Island was just starting to get back on it's feet from Sandy

8. Morris816

Morris816 Member

This despite video evidence of what the officer did and NYPD rules specifically prohibiting the use of chokeholds.

And people wonder why so many say the system is broken.

9. Boom_70

It's a chicken or egg thing. There use to be a lot more respect for the
    law and those charged with enforcing it also.

But yes the system is broken.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did the coroner not rule this a homicide?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

On the one hand, I'm sure there are people out there who think that officer was justified and have some kind of reasoning and I'd kind of like to hear it. On the other hand, I don't think I do, because my faith in humanity is already pretty low.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The man was selling cigarettes without a stamp. It seems pretty open and shut to me. He needed to die.

Draft saved Draft deleted