1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Right before that, though, the cop in front is trying to grab his arm and he pulls away. That could be considered resisting arrest.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I suppose it could be, by someone who is looking to justify an unjustified killing.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Are police no longer trained in non-lethal tactics?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rick, those weren't subtle distinctions. They were bullshit you used rather than admit to your hypocrisy. I understood your bullshit well enough to see right through it. You can try to cover it all you like, but anybody who is paying attention realizes that you demand proof when it suits you, then carelessly toss around unfounded accusations when that suits you.

The last bit of your statement is proof of your dishonesty. Nobody on this site argues against unfounded accusations more stubbornly and consistently than I do. I know you realize that because you have been on the wrong side of the argument before, so you are flat-out lying in your statement above.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So I'll be getting that apology that I asked for years ago for your repeated accusation that I fabricated scores when I was working as a small-town sports editor, which came from a vaguely-remembered joke post that you were sure I wasn't joking on and couldn't be bothered to look up? You continued to repeat the accusations for quite some time despite repeated appeals to your sense of decency.

If I do, then I'll begin to have even the *slightest* respect for your "unfounded accusations" schtick. Until then, I'll continue to believe it's nothing but masturbatory foolishness.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The smokescreen about "body cameras" is unnecessary foolishness. Another reason for a bunch of politicians to get together and spend money they don't have.

There was video of the Garner incident. ... and there was still no indictment. That is how useful body cameras would have been in the indictment process.

I can't imagine what went on before that grand jury, but I am just blown away that anyone could watch that video and not put the matter before a trial for manslaughter.

Just as with Ferguson, I'm not talking about a conviction. I'm talking about just having the trial and letting two sides have to put on their case. ... and having those cops face the same system of justice that anyone else would have to face.

The real problem isn't a lack of body cameras. It's a problem with prosecutors being too close to the police, and giving them favorable treatment that no one else gets at their discretion. THAT is what needs to be fixed. When you have a cop and a body, we need a process that makes the matter of the indictment into something done in a fair and impartial way. I don't know what that process is, but as these two incidents show, what we have right now doesn't work. In most jurisdictions, the police are going to be unindictable.

8. RickStain

This doesn't have to be either/or. There have been plenty of incidents where video *did* change the outcome.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are right. It's not either/or. But it is a sideshow -- a costly one not worth the perceived benefit, in my opinion. It doesn't address the real problem.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rick, when did you claim it was a joke? You denied making the post at all, but now you are changing your story? Such desperation.

I have no interest in gaining your respect, Rick, not after what I've seen you demonstrate in your posts on this site. Have a nice night.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dammit, you're ruining my avatar. I was here first.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. RickStain

Your memory of this incident is about as credible as a Ferguson witness. And I'm sure you can't wait to dig up proof of this accusation, right?

Thanks for reminding me that, while I like you, you are nothing but a mindless shark whenever you get into an argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted