1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ferguson / Staten Island Decisions -- No Indictments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 16, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Someday if you (or anyone you care about) tragically ends up on the receiving end of a cop beat down, it's my opinion that you've forfeited any right to complain. You've made it clear that you see no need for due process. ... Justice is simply a matter of a guy with a GED and a civil-service exam under his belt using his judgment to decide who and who doesn't deserve a pummeling.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's what Catherine the Great said

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's some stuff going around Twitter about the cop who killed Tamir Rice having been fired from his previous job for being unstable. Might just be Twitter stuff, but it looks legit on its face.

Meanwhile, here's an example that shows it isn't always done wrong:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/04/28/knoxville-cop-fired-immediately-after-photos-show-brutal-choking-of-student/

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that one of our moderators once started a thread titled, "F Drunk Drivers", and the general consensus was that we all hoped the guy who got caught was given a harsh sentence and that the sentences aren't really enough to discourage those from drinking and driving.

Frankly, if one of my family members was hurt or killed by a drunk driver, I'd hope the cops beat him to within an inch of his life.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He didn't, he was pulled over already. What you are advocating is that cops can be judge and jury and dictate their own sort of corporal punishment.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Do you understand the concept of due process and why it protects your rights?

7. Baron Scicluna

I would hope that you, or someone you care about, never tragically ends up on the receiving end of a drunken driving crash. I haven't, although I've had family members injured by sober drivers who just weren't paying attention to the road. I can't imagine losing someone because some fucktard decided to get drunk, was getting pulled over by the cops, and then decided like a coward to try to outrun them.

King could have prevented all of it had he chosen not to drink and do drugs, or, having doing that, chosen to not drive, or, barring that, when the police sirens come on, to pull over.

8. Baron Scicluna

Certainly. And King would have had a much smoother chance at due process if he'd pulled over when the sirens came on.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My hypotheticals don't normally come with this much instant gratification.

Thanks Baron!

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

In other words you don't get it.

I understand human nature wanting to beat the piss out of him, but you cant.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He resigned. But the quotes in his personnel file, hoo boy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/12/03/officer-who-shot-12-year-old-tamir-rice-displayed-dismal-handgun-performance-in-exercise/?tid=sm_fb

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I do think black activists would get back traction on the 120 or so yearly police killings
    of African Americans if they were also willing to discuss the 7000 African Americans murdered annually by other blacks.

It's all bad to me but it's a discussion that the Al Sharpton's of the world refuse to have.

BTW is Jesse Jackson on vacation?

Draft saved Draft deleted