1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Christians are beginning to see the problems ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a very Christianlike attitude, Mr. BS.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm just going to assume you're a troll trying to start a flame war because in no way, shape or form is your post correct. You are quite simply wrong if you thing American homeless have it good, or if you think we shouldn't try to help. Rant all you want, but absolutely nothing will change your falsehood to the truth.

Nothing.

3. JackS

JackS Member

Of course, of course. I don't advocate waving fetuses on streetcorners. That is just a turn-off. It does no good and never will.

I just have a problem with labeling the issue as petty. I'm sure Jesus wouldn't do that either. From the passage in the article, it appears Boyd did.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Oh, good Lord.

Let's try this: This preacher, like many others, is sick of watching politicians from both sides of the aisle use their religion as a crutch to get votes. He's also tired of politicians, especially the current White House bunch, using religion to garner sympathy for screwups or attempting to justify illegal activity by somehow relating it to a Christian cause. Those are his issues. In every way, this man is a conservative. He doesn't believe in abortion and thinks God would frown on homosexuality. He's simply tired of every politician up and down the ladder working over the Christians by using these "hot button" issues.

5. JackS

JackS Member

That's fine. I attend a church where no candidates are ever endorsed, which I appreciate. But abortion is not labeled a petty sexual issue either, and I wouldn't like it if it were.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And for the nth time, he never referred to abortion as a petty sexual issue. You simply thought he was implying that. More than likely, you took that implication because that's the way the writer put it.

7. JackS

JackS Member

Look, the passage flat out refers to the "pettiness" of Christians who focus on "sexual issues" like abortion. If you want to tell me the writer twisted what Boyd said, that's one thing. But don't give me some crap about what I thought was being implied.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Usually I don't like to blame the media, but in this case I might be willing to make an exception.

The writer lumped Janet Jackson's nipple and abortion together. I'm not sure the rev. did.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen: Please do not feed the troll. That is all.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you Ace. And newbie, it says the "pettiness" of Christians who focus on "sexual issues." That doesn't mean then that you can combine the two and claim he said abortion is a "petty sexual issue." I damn well will call you out when you make equations and claims which aren't valid.

11. JackS

JackS Member

If that's not the best example of semantics I've ever seen on this board, I don't know what is.

I'm petty for focusing on abortion, but abortion isn't petty. Gotcha.

12. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I don't understand where this argument is coming from.

JackS - alley never called you petty for focusing on abortion. He's pointing out that the only quote marks in the story refer to "pettiness" of Christians on "sexual issues." The writer of the story then lists some issues someone (not necessarily the Rev.) deems fall under that umbrella. This seems rather clear to me and, it seems, to most everyone else posting on this topic. I'm not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse or are suffering from a superb case of chronic miscomprehension. But I couldn't take it anymore, so I had to post.

Draft saved Draft deleted