1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First date, post-divorce.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Nov 16, 2017.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Goddamnit. This is the Godfather II of SJ posts. You figured anything would pale in comparison to the original but BAM! Fucking incredible. And not only did you have a great night, you described it poetically (the line about Vincent Vega & Mia Wallace is tremendous) and poignantly (I sure hope she's here beyond 53). Amazing. Well-done. Enjoy your time w/her.

Also, I read the first two parts before I left for our July 4th activities and figured part two was the end of it. And that was good! But wow, part three. What a thing to read upon settling in for the evening.

gingerbread and FileNotFound like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

An epic tale, evolving still ...

I may not sleep tonight!

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Sandi often jokes that she’ll give me enough material for my next novel… welp.

We spent a couple of hours together today — both had to work tonight.

it’s a weird place as, given the intensity (and results) of the first date, we’re now trying to do the “relationship backwards”.

Spent two hours in bed… talking about shitty marriages, our fears and our vulnerabilities. Clothes on. I try to “read the room” and match her “level” in the moment.

Then we had to each get to work.

As I walk her to her car, she stops and looks at me.

“Don’t think I’m not interested. I am. If you wanted to do it, just ask next time.”

So oddly casual. I can’t read her at all. She’s had a life of men who wanted her as the “trophy wife/girlfriend”.

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

PO … well, you know.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    playthrough likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My second ex was like that. Weirdly distant for as uninhibited as I initially thought she was.

On our first date, we went to the bar where she worked as a scantily clad waitress to put herself through college. Talked a lot about how she had been engaged seven times and only went through with one wedding. Completely open and honest, yet with her defenses way up, even though we ended up at her place that very night.

Then, once I passed whatever tests she was giving me and those defenses came down, hoo boy.

gingerbread and exmediahack like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Well done

Turtle Wexler likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would have handed her last years unfiled tax returns.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Just echoing everyone else here but props to ex on living a goddamn Penthouse Forum letter come to life. :D

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Then when it starts raining you make them watch Andy Griffith until the tarp’s off the field.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And a double Medal of Honor recipient there, too.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I just read that entire post in the voice of Skip Caray.

Draft saved Draft deleted