1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I hope you told the execution story.

dixiehack, Liut and maumann like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yes! And Challenger. And Loma Prieta. And then the NEXT career, followed by the even more NEXT career.

I think he's wondering if he should just sell insurance from here on out. I asked him what he thought the media world would look like when he was 65 and he just stared at me on the Zoom call.

EDIT: However, I did not add "don't be so stupid to get yourself thrown in jail."

matt_garth, HanSenSE, da man and 3 others like this.
  3. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

So true. I thought the whole field false-started in the men’s 100 final.

4. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

I hope you mentioned lugging portable typewriters and a telecopier to a football game and then connecting via a third-number operator-assisted collect call. Great fun on deadline.

Or, once laptops came along, discovering on a trip to Canada that the phone calling card didn’t work outside the U.S., and the baseball writer never mentioned it because he had his own card that did. Which meant three dictated stories on a Saturday night deadline. More delight.

Or filing from a street corner pay phone via Model 100 couplers with a thunderstorm approaching because the lazy mope running the park at the state championship wanted to go home. Pure joy.

maumann likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember years ago interviewing Jon Drummond, who IMHO is the greatest 4x100 leadoff man of all time and at the time was coaching Tyson Gay, and asking him about the keys to his start. And part of his asnwer was when he got into the blocks he would "engage the mechanism"and everything around him, all the sights and noise and chaos, would disappear -- until the gun went off.

BTW, thinking of Drummond reminds me of the gutsiest thing I ever saw in track. In the first round of the 4x100 of the 2001 World Championships, Drummond was leading off and midway through his leg he started limping badly. He was obviously injured, but he was somehow able to keep going and get the baton to Mickey Grimes before collapsing. The U.S. was behind because of Drummond's injury but came back to win the heat and advance. Drummond, it was later discovered, had suffered a torn quadriceps during his run.

The Americans won the title but were DQed several years later because Tim Montgomery was found guilty of doping as part of the BALCO operation.

Dog8Cats and maumann like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The Wikipedia page "United States at the 2024 Summer Olympics" is very helpful for these kinds of numbers, but the short answer is, basically yes:

Women: 21G, 20S, 19B
    Men: 11G, 15S, 19B
    Mixed: 1G, 4S, 1B

Perhaps more telling is that all six Americans who have won four or more medals at this Olympics are women, albeit five swimmers (Huske, Smith, Douglass, Walsh, Ledecky) and Simone Biles.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Swimmers and gymnasts have way more chances to win medals than any other sports I can think of.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I will say ... since the major f-up in the men's 100m final, Leigh Diffey has been pretty darn good. That's not saying much since it's the marquee event of the meet, but still ... a nice recovery.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That look from Richardson in the final meters was stone cold.

Draft saved Draft deleted