1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Because they will make a lot more money in OKC

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were the collective world of Olympic softball, I would be PISSED. Essentially this means a two week sentence to sit around in OKC hotel rooms in midsummer, watching the Olympics on TV just like everybody else. I'd bitch to the moon -- to every TV camera I could find -- about gender discrimination.

maumann likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They used a Japanese League stadium for softball in 2021, but I don't remember if they removed the infield grass. I could see MLB having a problem with that.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I forgot about that. It was all fucked up.

Softball is the red headed step child of Olympic sports.

5. HanSenSE

In 1981, I covered baseball for the Spartan Daily. SJSU played at San Jose Municipal Stadium (now Excite Ballpark), which had a turf infield with cutouts around the bases and the pitchers' circle for a pro women's softball team. They left the cutouts uncovered when it was used for baseball (SJSU and San Jose's Cal League team) and didn't deconstrut the mound for softball.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I guess MiLB dumped them from the Cal League, but there also are stadiums in Lancaster/Palmdale and Adelanto. But I can't imagine enjoying "The Olympic Experience" at Adelanto. I realize those places are hot and windy. Wind ruins every sport, except sailing.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think they could find a college stadium in the Los Angeles area that is not heavily used in the summer to adapt the infield. The dorms could be the softball village.

8. HanSenSE

Did we already dismiss UCLA's stadium, since that will be one of the villages?

Good Tebow, we're talking four years. Even in California, it can't take that long to build a field.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

yes because it only holds 1,328

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Easton is a nonstarter. And Palmdale and Adelanto are full of tumbleweeds. Nothing says the Olympics than OKC in early August!

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Remember, the Olympics is a convention of world championships of all the sports there. If the softball people had really wanted to be around LA, it wold've happened. Whoever runs that sport (I have no idea) wanted this to be in OKC.

12. HanSenSE

Starting to think NBC doesn't know what the hell to do with Snoop Dog

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted