1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Batman and franticscribe like this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone gave them two golds and Alexis Holmes got one with her in the 4x400 relay. And Masai Russell added a gold in the 100 hurdles.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, and Daniel Roberts took silver in the 110 hurdles and Jasmine Camacho-Quinn got bronze for Puerto Rico in the 100 hurdles,

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Here's the list. A quick scroll looks like all but one of the individual golds (fencing in 1928) are track or swimming and the rest are team sports -- water polo, volleyball and basketball.

All-Time Olympians | USC Trojans in the Paris Olympics

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, Anthony Davis in basketball.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The first day I walked into the Daily Trojan office as a USC student, I saw Randy Williams sitting at a desk chatting with a couple of student-reporters. That was just a couple of weeks after he won the Olympic long jump at the '72 Games in Munich. Swimmer John Naber was a PR major who did a lab working on the Daily Trojan. He had a meal card so we sent him down to the grill to get us hamburgers. And so it went at USC.

maumann, Liut and MTM like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you can make a ruling without even allowing the other side to present evidence in the case, let alone apparently not even let the other side even know there is a case until you make the ruling. Someone says the inquiry is four seconds too late (which is a joke anyway but whatever) and then the team making the inquiry has evidence that says, actually we made two inquiries within the allotted time.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s such absolute horseshit. There has to be a way for someone to get up there and say the evidence before you is not just wrong, but damn wrong.

Of course we have a sports system (albeit different agencies) that bans a country from competing but not athletes. We have a system that allows the personhood of an athlete to be called into question because tests gave funky results. And we have a system where a failed drug test can be dragged out for months and revealed when a teenager is competing and it fucks with her mental health.

I love sports but we have some shitty people running them.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Olympics began with my white friends shitting all over the opening ceremony and ended with my black friends shitting all over the breakdancing.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You want to be a stickler and say, hey you missed the inquiry by four seconds, sucks for you, then that's fine. I get it. Letter of the law and rules are rules.

But to then hear, no we have timestamped video that shows we did it in 44 seconds, and then another at 56 seconds, how can the appeal stand? Either that evidence is real or it's not

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In fairness to your Black friends…

[​IMG]

Inky_Wretch and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted