1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The French aren't used to seeing someone with that kind of accuracy that wasn't firing a cow.

DanielSimpsonDay and maumann like this.
  2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same. Also, I had zero interest in and zero intent to watch breaking until seeing the backlash after the fact. I've been catching up on it tonight after putting the kids to bed. It's so cringe.

maumann likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Went to a castle in the south of France at the top of the town of Baux ("un de plus beau village de France" which is an official government distinction) where they had a demonstration of a trebuchet (catapult), with bags of flour as the weapons. Guide/MC asked for volunteers. Distinct lack of interest until my son and I went forward, then some dads afraid their kids would shame them. As we began turning the wheel to wind the spring (damned hard I might add) the tour guide said in French, "Thank God for the Americans, they always come up for shit like this." I responded "merci beaucoup" which set him back a bit. That's what breakdancing at the Games was. The French thought it was stupid, but would get some volunteers, likely American.

franticscribe, dixiehack and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The obvious solution is to give co bronze medals and apologize for the confusion. But this is the IOC. That won't happen until the lawsuits fly.

franticscribe likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Before the games Domonique Foxworth compared Breaking to Tommy Hilfiger. "Once the white people showed up we were like 'Nah, you can have that shit.'"

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The First Amendment is my favorite so it pains me to call for Mike Greenberg's arrest. Also incredible: Naming something the most memorable of all time and then saying it will not be remembered like others.

I didn't get to watch as much of the Olympics as I wanted but absolutely loved everything I did see and thought NBC was fantastic. For stuff I missed I will, like always, wait patiently for three years for Bud Greenspan's film.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

LOL. Moran.

Liut likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Breaking is one and done anyway. I assume they'll start the first 2028 cricket match in the next week or so, however.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Steph’s shot was absolutely insane, will be remembered and capped off an incredible run. But we were up 6 with 37 seconds to go when he let it fly. If he airballed it, we still win. KD’s contested 2 against Serbia was the highest pressure shot we had.

franticscribe and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted