1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A couple of other statements in track and field:

Jakob Ingebrigtsen blew away a pretty good field to win in Monaco, becoming just the fourth man in history to run the 1,500 in less than 3:27.

The previous week at the Diamond League’s Paris event, Faith Kipyegon broke her own world record in the women’s 1,500.

At that same meet, Ukraine’s Yaroslava Mahuchikh broke a 37-year-old record by clearing 6-10 3/4 to win the women’s high jump.

And Djamel Sedjati of Algeria established himself as the man to beat in the 800 by breaking 1:42 in winning both Paris and Monaco. He’s now the third-fastest ever in that event and the first to run multiple 1:41s in the same year since world record holder David Rudisha did it in 2012. But he’s not a shoo-in — Emmanuel Wanyonyi and Gabriel Tual also broke 1:42 in Paris, which I believe is the first time three men ran in the 1:41s in the same race.

Gonna be a fun Olympics!

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

there is no way Taurasi is not on this team with a chance at a sixth medal. None. She’ll be the 12th player and not see a minute before being left off.

Nepheesa Collier is still out. I’m not sure what the deadline is but they are going to push it because it’s her wnba coach in charge and you know she doesn’t want her to miss

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Too much emphasis on the crip-walking.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

USA basketball uniforms: white letters/ numbers on white jerseys. Fantastic.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Got a notice that Peacock is raising my subscription price at my next renewal on August 15. I found it kinda funny because I signed up when the Olympic Team Trials for wrestling were on it back in April and decided to keep it through the Olympics since I figured I'd watch an IndyCar race or two in between. Anyway, it was a good reminder to set it to expire.

maumann likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really miss the TdF, but I’m not signing up for yet another subscription to watch it. Same with the Olympics.

8. Inky_Wretch

9. John

John Well-Known Member

You can watch extended highlights of each Tour stage - sometimes up to 45 minutes or so - on NBC Sports' YouTube channel.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK for fashionable merch to sell to fans ... horrible for those actually trying to keep up during game action.

11. Inky_Wretch

Yeah, I’ve done that. But it isn’t the same. But I’m a sicko who is content watching four hours of cycling.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Rai Benjamin is the betting favorite over Karsten Warholm in the 400m finals. I know Benjamin beat Warholm in a Diamond League meet last week, but I don't see it yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted