1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Didja think our boy was going to understate his disgust?

franticscribe and Webster like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

“Ten feet. I think you'll find it's the exact same measurements as our gym back in Juba."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The U.S. with NBA players should never have a game closer than 25 points; usually it should be 40+.

Ever since 1992 it's been the Load Management and Courteous Half-Assing Games: the dual objective of the U.S. team is to play just lazily enough no players are in danger of even a hangnail, and just poorly enough not to hurt any opponents' fee-fees by winning by more than a couple baskets, and then be accused of being brutal and unsportsmanlike "Ugly Americans," and somehow still win the game.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2024
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was an embarrassment. I was pulling for the 45.5-point dog.

5. nickp

nickp Active Member

What an absolutely inspiring effort by South Sudan today Really excited to see them more during the Olympics

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They play the U.S. again in group play on July 31. That'll show how embarrassed the U.S. is by this showing today.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There are 12 players on the Olympic roster
    200 total minutes of PT

The average player will play 16:40 per game

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You do know the best players in the NBA are not Americans, right?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dude, this isn't 1992 anymore. The U.S. still has the best, deepest roster, but most of the top contenders have at least a starting five filled with NBA players. Canada has 10, including a couple of All-Stars. Australia has nine, France has six, and Serbia has four including the current best player in the game.
    Not saying the U.S. should be going to the wire with South Sudan, but there are games that will look like NBA games in international uniforms. It's not a dozen U.S. hall of famers playing against second-tier club players from the Greek league.

franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting I keep seeing ads promoting the opening ceremony for 7:30 p.m. EDT (obviously on tape) when NBC is airing it live at 1:30 p.m. EDT.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I can't watch the opening and closing ceremonies. I'll be busy washing what's left of my hair.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted