1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd go with a cyclist.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is Killy still alive? Plus, he's a winter guy. Does that matter?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tony Parker.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Gonzalve Bich.

(He's the current CEO of Bic Lighters.)

franticscribe and dixiehack like this.
  5. DanOregon

So 200 nations, 85 boats, sure you can fill up a few with the smaller delegations. But weird that the athletes won't even walk. As spectacular as it will be, it's going to be weird - right? Very French?
    Just hoping its a safe couple of weeks in France. The way the world is today - its a coin flip.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The gendarmes are crawling all over Paris. That should thwart any big attacks, but no telling what a disturbed loup solitaire might do.

7. DanOregon

How much benefit would you get from spying on a soccer practice? Really? It's the ultimate "Jimmy and Joe's not x's and o's" sport.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Killy is still alive and a rather powerful IOC member after he basically ran Albertville in 1992, but he's 80, a winter guy and probably too much of a high muckety-muck.

I took a crack at this question a couple days too early several pages ago.

It's kind of weird how France is a very legitimate sports nation (fifth-most golds, fourth-most medals), but it's very hard to name a French Summer Olympian of recent vintage. In Albertville, the final torchbearers were Michel Platini (who is now persona non grata after taking bribes at UEFA) and a little kid. (Also, the torch looked like a Subway sandwich painted blue and the lighting was clearly faked. You can pause the video.)

Anyway, here's my odds:

Unknown person: +250
    Florent or Laure Manadou (swimmers, siblings, both youngish, good looking and have won gold medals), +400
    Marie-Jose Perec (first person to win the 200-400 double, in 1996, but she's actually from Guadeloupe), +500
    Claude Makelele (most famous French footballer who's actually played in the Olympics and synonymous with the defensive midfielder position, but that's kind of like being a famous offensive lineman), +600
    Jeannie Longo (female cyclist, been to seven Olympics, would probably be the odds-on favorite except she's got all kinds of doping stink on her), +800
    Zinedine Zidane or Kylian Mbappe (the 'fuck it, we need someone really famous' call), +1000

Edit: The Athletic did a similar article, they mentioned Parker, who I'd say is a good +500 (played in two Olympics, never medaled), and also the futures pick of Victor Wenbenyama, which I'd put around +1000.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I buried the lede. No. 1-ranked Jannik Sinner isn't playing. Withdrew due to tonsillitis.

https://apnews.com/article/olympics-2024-tennis-sinner-4209ffbe7f2dcd3599c4555647173b8f

So Djokovic is the No. 1 seed, Alcaraz No. 2. Women's No. 1 is Swiatek -- the overwhelming favorite -- Gauff No. 2. Gauff is the top seed in doubles with Pegula.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dog8Cats, JC and PCLoadLetter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted