1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know open water swimming is a different discipline, but could they rework it to do the swimming in the pool once those events are finished? There are only 55 people in each triathlon, and it's only a 1,500-meter swim. If they did wave starts and reworked the course to start the cycling outside the swimming venue would that be realistic at all?

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Which would be why I had questions about that plan from the first time I heard about it.

SixToe likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Great match. That might be a preview of the gold medal game.

swingline likes this.
  4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They possibly could, if they were deadset on doing the swim portion.

I'd guess some athletes-coaches-federations would protest about "open water" vs. the pool, wall kicks and turns, all that, and it'd be a kerfluffle. Triathletes have to practice in pools at some point so it wouldn't be foreign, but likely their mindset-plans wouldn't be as on point.

It might suck to lose the swim but a duathlon's better than nothing. Maybe more energy, too. But no world or olympic record possibilities, which also would suck.

Batman likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Amazing how great the coaching is. The team takes a timeout and invariably comes back with three consecutive points.

6. maumann

Karch Kiraly is starting to look like Ted Danson.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd kill to look like Karch Kiraly at any age.

8. poindexter

This shallow pool isn't going to be setting many records

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. poindexter

Watching Tirico interview young women is creepy as hell.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. poindexter

Matt Lauer looks at Tirico interviews with young women and gets the skeeves.

That's quite a legacy NBC has.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. maumann

The Japanese women's basketball team is having a great time in a Dream Team type of way. They were filling it up from the arc in the second quarter against the US women, which made it seem fairly close at the half.

Even though they're losing by a lot now, I get the feeling they're enjoying every minute they get to play against a team so talented and deep. It's something to tell their children and grandchildren some day -- I scored against a professional player from the WNBA!

Draft saved Draft deleted