1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don’t know who the announcer is on this match, but during the last changeover he said this: “I think it’s important to emphasize how dignified she was in her complaints.”

What? Granted, Coco didn’t call the umpire “the pits of the world “ or threaten to shove the fucking ball down his fucking throat, but she did throw a typical teenage tantrum — “It always happens to me! Every time! This isn’t fair! Why is it always me?!”

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Serena lite. A big brat and has become unlikable and someone not to root for.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She even said, "It happened to me; it happened to Serena" today.

Yeah, Coco. And nobody else ever.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A delicious bit of local drama from men's fencing. The Italians are claiming a refereeing conspiracy -- shocking, I know -- after their man lost a close final to a Hong Kong fencer, claiming the judges from South Korea and Taiwan were too close to Hong Kong to be unbiased. (The fact the judges in Italy's quarterfinal victory were from Germany and the Czech Republic evidently didn't merit a mention.) Hongkongers have responded by trolling the moaning Italians with praise of pineapple on pizza, and the local Pizza Hut has added insult to injury by offering free pineapple toppings.
    ‘Pineapple belongs on pizza’: Italy vs Hong Kong Instagram war after Cheung’s win

maumann and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Damn, I so liked Coco. I'm out. The victimhood is so offputting.

6. MileHigh

The replay is a mess, but so was it live.

They had real scoring. So Italy was leading by like 25 points and the U.S. not in the top three. Zero context that the U.S. was like three routines behind and Simone does something great and suddenly the U.S. is ahead.

I do blame this on the international feed, but F-it. F-NBC. Be better.

Liut, Webster and maumann like this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Congrats to the organizers, who managed to get their shit together ... in a place other than the Seine.

Bud_Bundy likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

I hope the hospitals have many beds open.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’ll take Schenkel.
    Would love to be a fly on the wall of whatever pub either one is telling stories at.
    My favorite would be Maltbie, Faldo, McCord, Kostis, Feherty.
    To think that 4 of those 5 lunatics were on the same broadcast team for a very long time is astounding.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've often espoused my love for the absurdity of the 1904 St. Louis Olympics on these threads. During those games, three water polo players died after contracting typhus, because the games were played in a pond where cattle bathed and pooped.
    Never thought we might see a repeat of that, but now here we are.

Meanwhile, a preview of the interview with the winning triathlete:

Draft saved Draft deleted