1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tell that to Elon Musk and JK Rowling and the other far right screechers. They're in full "That's a MAN beating up a real WOMAN" mode.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just wait until next week and the women's 1500 with Nikki Hiltz.

gingerbread likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FYI, according to the current rules, Semenya wouldn't be able to run unless she took testosterone-suppressing medication. According to the linked story, Khelif was from last year's International Boxing Association championships for elevated levels of testosterone, as determined by "an unspecified gender eligibility test."

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't think Hiltz's testosterone levels are in dispute.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just looked at the match stats for this. Swiatek committed 36 unforced errors to 13 for Zheng. That'll do it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Try telling that to the "she should be running with the men" crowd online.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

An absolute social media train wreck.

And won't advance the cause of common sense competitions among these sanctioning organizations, either.

gingerbread likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of swimming and the culture wars and social media train wrecks, a buddy pointed me to ESPN's Facebook page where dozens of people are saying Katie Ledecky is actually a man and shouldn't be swimming in the women's competition. Social media has poisoned the minds of far too many people in this country.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Weren’t those the same people who told us they wouldn’t watch a minute of the Olympics after the Big Gay Opening Ceremonies?

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Beach volleyball was HUGE in the 90's; check out the beach wear (with neon) that many (including myself) were sporting; SIDEOUT, MOSSIMO, etc. It was a hard, freakin' sport too (I played for a while).

gingerbread, MileHigh and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Running in sand is like... running in sand.

gingerbread likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted