1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2024 Masters Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 9, 2024.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One last Lundquist note - for a guy who was never "THE guy" he had some incredible calls in his career. Kick Six, Tiger at the Masters, Jack at the Master, and don't forget the Tonya-Nancy business. Also called the Laettner turnaround jumper over Kentucky.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That would have meant McCord appearing on a Master's telecast which would be problematic.

2muchcoffeeman and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

To which he travelled.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Obviously golf has myriad issues. No question about that.

I’m curious about the Masters ratings and maybe someone smarter than me can answer: How is viewership counted on the Masters app? Personally, every second I saw was on the app. And it was a lot.

I likely would’ve watched the CBS broadcast on Sunday but I was traveling.

I’m a golf fan and I really like Scheffler. But the comparison to Pete Sampras is apt. To break through, he’ll need years of sustained excellence.

It’s clear they need to get the LIV guys to be in more regular events.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Saw something on Twitter basically asking the same question, and I don't think the green jackets release streaming info.

The more I think about it, the ratings make a lot of sense. I'm a golf sicko, work in the industry, etc., so of course I'm going to watch the leaders' entire final round. The average person tuned in after the leaders had made the turn, and by that point, the thing was decided with zero drama.

Neutral Corner and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, the LIV-bots can quit making out bad ratings to be a PGA Tour problem.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I just watched a recent clinic video with Tiger, Scheffler and Fleetwood, and Scheffler has the same patient, self-effacing and well-spoken mien I've seen on tour.

A Sampras golf story: This was some years ago, Sampras was playing a round with Tom Watson. At one point he asked to borrow Tom's major-winning driver -- and promptly shattered it on the first swing.

Draft saved Draft deleted