1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2024 Masters Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 9, 2024.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I am the egg man

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’ve got his autograph from the 1999 Sprint International out at Castle Pines.
    Super nice guy.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Glad Jack left the red MAGA hat in the hotel room.

qtlaw, Webster and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's always the little touches that amaze ... the press building has a media locker room (!) and on the walls are framed newspapers from Masters wins, and they are rotated every year based on anniversaries. And not just major newspapers; there's a front page from the LaCrosse Tribune when Fuzzy Zoeller won 45 years ago.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was reading the tee sheet this morning and I saw Bryson DeChambeau's name. This caused me to realize I couldn't remember the last time I'd read, heard, or thought of the guy. This is the Tour's weapon in its struggle with LIV, why it can negotiate with a vastly richer enterprise on equal terms. The LIV players took the Saudi dough, but they increasingly know it has cost them in the recognition they crave almost as much as money. They are trees cashing checks in the forest with no one to hear.
    PS: I will be startled if Bryson makes the cut.

qtlaw likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I missed that part. When I covered the Masters the press HQ was an old quonset hut, and media was segregated into two classes. “Working media” were allowed into the actual press room and had designated work spaces. Just plain “media” (as if we weren’t really working) had to stay in the common areas outside the media room and look through the window to see the big scoreboards in there. They were at least nice enough to provide binoculars on the shelf under the window to give us a better view.

We also had to stake out our own places to work, which were not always easy to come by. Fortunately, I was acquainted with someone who’d been there before and clued me in to a little known storage room that he dubbed “the Cobb Oxford memorial broom closet,” where several people could spread out a little and work undisturbed.

I covered two Masters — one as each class of media. I can confirm the “working media” experience was much better.

7. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

There were still two classes in the college auditorium-style building that replaced the quonset hut. I was plain "media," and realized segregation was still a thing in the South. There was a row of seating behind the auditorium and you could look through the windows. You also couldn't get into the press conference area – a Pinkerton was there to check badges – but I managed to sneak in to a Nicklaus presser the day he was co-leader. And a pal at a paper with an extra seat in the charmed circle invited me to use it for the week. I did.

I have not yet been to the $50 million replacement so have no idea if the two-class system still exists, but with the lesser numbers of reporters, I tend to doubt it. They have credential websites for the last few years..

da man likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bryson is a fascinating study and Shipnuck did a good job exploring in his LIV book. Bryson wanted to do more at the Tour but was a polarizing nerd that couldn't get on the policy board, so he left so he could "matter" as a LIV team captain. Of course it doesn't matter to you or me or darn near any golf fan, but it matters to him. I'm sure the money didn't hurt, duh, but his case is more nuanced than others.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

What does it say?

10. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

Thursday's weather is supposed to be a mess — 90 percent chance of thunderstorms, winds of 30-40 mph.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Looks like it’s a lot better to have late/early tee times for Thursday/Friday for sure.

Looks like perfect weather after Thursday.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Troll accounts are so ... well, I just want to slap THIS guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted