1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former hedge fund manager acquires life-saving drug, raises price 5,555% to $750/pill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You'd last about three minutes, too.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like he was very good at his job:

Authorities outlined years of investment losses and lies Shkreli allegedly told his investors almost from the moment he began managing money. By age 26, they said, he got nine investors to place $3 million with him, began losing their money and covering it up. Within a year, his fund's account was down to $331.

But, who the hell gives a 26-year-old their money to manage?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

You don't have to find that many suckers, and I'm sure he talked a good game. He probably even believed his own bullshit.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was money from a few friends and family.

I posted early on the thread about his little free-riding caper on an options trade that Lehman sued him for. He was obviously trading way over his head. When you do that and it works, it makes you do even dumber things -- because you get seduced into thinking you are bullet proof. It can be an overleveraged trade or some free ride trades that work and make you think it is easy to "scam" your way into trading bigger than your actual account. Since you're never wrong, and it's so much money, what is the problem? I suspect that is what happened. It's like the gambler who wins a lot of money -- and then loses it all and then some.

These kinds of things are a real test of your character. You either face your mistakes or you do something dishonest to try to cover it up. I suspect that when you piece together the reality of what happened, this guy's story is the latter.

9. YankeeFan

Oh boy is that ever true.

10. doctorquant

This may not be the exact quote, but it's close, and it's pretty apropos in circumstances like this: "There's nobody out there who's more dangerous, or vulnerable, than somebody who believes himself destined to be rich."

11. YankeeFan

Would you two please stop talking about me!

doctorquant likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All that's missing is the Skittles.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted