1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former hedge fund manager acquires life-saving drug, raises price 5,555% to $750/pill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of money managers are really good at what they do vs. ones who just play follow the leader, game the system or just put money in stuff that benefits them.

I suspect there are few great ones, some that are principled and work hard and most who skate by knowing just enough to be dangerous.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This guy was likely very dishonest -- trying to hide investment losses and lying to the people who had entrusted him with their money about it all -- reporting big profits when he had big losses. He acted like he was bulletproof. Living like a player and siphoning money from businesses he was involved with to cover his lifestyle and cover his trading fuck ups.

Most money managers really aren't great. It's pretty difficult simply to make money year after year, let alone outperform markets. It's nearly impossible to outperform the broad market indexes -- whatever it is you track -- on a consistent basis. Most money managers do very well in bull markets. They are smart enough not to get in their own way and a bull market makes everyone look smart. That has been the story of the last few years. They also do pretty lousy in bear markets. It's a much harder environment and they don't get lifted with the tide. The ones who outperform consistently -- in bull and bear markets -- are few and far between, and they aren't running yours or my money.

That all has nothing to do with this guy, though. The indictment read like he's a complete douchebag who got in over his head and rather than acknowledging that he lost money and taking his lumps, he tried to paper it over -- whatever it took; he tried to reneg on paying brokers what he owed them, for example, and he used Retrophin as a piggy bank to pay back on his hedge fund losses and to fund his lifestyle. That is just dishonesty and fraud, if the allegations are true. That has nothing to do with investing or trading. It's stealing and lying.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Lawyer for Martin Shkreli Hikes Fees Five Thousand Per Cent

BROOKLYN (The Borowitz Report)—A criminal lawyer representing Turing Pharmaceuticals chief Martin Shkreli has informed his client that he is raising his hourly legal fees by five thousand per cent, the lawyer has confirmed.

Minutes after Shkreli’s arrest on charges of securities fraud, the attorney, Harland Dorrinson, announced that he was hiking his fees from twelve hundred dollars an hour to sixty thousand dollars.

Shkreli, who reportedly received the news about the price hike while he was being fingerprinted, cried foul and accused his attorney of “outrageous and inhumane price gouging."

Lawyer for Martin Shkreli Hikes Fees Five Thousand Per Cent - The New Yorker

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

That is just awesome on so many accounts.

1) The FBI addresses the question everyone was probably calling and asking. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had to field that call multiple times yesterday.
    2) They remind everyone that he was allegedly committing securities fraud. ... and spent $5 million of the ill-gotten money. ... to buy a. ... Wu-Tang Clan album. Does it get any better than that?
    3) They cloak the whole "We are going to remind everyone what a douche this guy is in a tweet" thing in a statement that instead kind of says, "The arrest was done by the book, and the FBI didn't violate his rights by seizing anything without a warrant."

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stoney and BDC99 like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Tweets seem legit to me.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Best hacker ever.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Hard to believe this guy's a real person. Every douchebaggy thing he does seems so over the top that it almost seems like an actor just putting us on with a Borat-style caricature of the prototypical Wall Street douchebag. At this point I'd almost be inclined to cheer for him out of amusement if I didn't know his greedy scumbaggery had actually hurt a whole lot of innocent people that disproportionately included the sick and disease-stricken.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You know this has happened?

Draft saved Draft deleted