1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former hedge fund manager acquires life-saving drug, raises price 5,555% to $750/pill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 21, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm amazed this guy doesn't get punched in the face every time he walks out the door.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the story that keeps giving.

Ex-drug executive Shkreli has $40 million trading loss: U.S.

When Shrkeli posted bail, he secured $5 million bond by putting up his E*trade account, which had $45 million of securities in it. As it turns out, most of what he owned were his shares in KaloBios -- the stock he sent through the roof when he acquired more than half of the outstanding shares in November.

Then the doof got arrested, the stock price tanked and the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The value of his E*trade account is down to $4 to $5 million (from $45 million), and the prosecutor was in court today saying he may need to come up with more assets if he wants to stay out of jail while he awaits trial.

I have so many thoughts:

1) The fact that he had $45 million of stock sitting in an E*trade account has to be because no major brokerage will take his business after his debacle with Lehman when he was running his fund. It's ridiculous.

2) Even more ridiculous is that he apparently had nearly all of his liquid assets (with claims against him, his net worth has to be negative) in that one stock is hysterical. He may be the worst gambler who has ever lived.

3) There was significant short interest in Kalio when the douchebag bought his shares, and those people got run over when the stock price went through the roof. The asshole took glee in it. What is it they say about karma? Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for the people who got run over because of him. They were right. ... but lost their money anyhow.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Love this story.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Certain aspects of the guy's story don't add up.
    He was a son of immigrants and came from humble origins. There was no indication ever he'd become a menace to society.
    As fun as it is to rage against him (and as much as he deserves it) there is severe mental illness at play. He is a true psychopath in the flesh.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all that he become truly useful to his former profession, and to society, and be used for quality control testing of pharmaceuticals instead of gerbils and rats.

5. The Big Ragu

Shrkeli is sitting in front of a congressional hearing right now w/ a bunch of other witnesses. It's a circus. It will be grandstanding at its best.

From what his lawyer said, he is going to do a Mark McGwire and not answer questions. It would be awesome if he keeps saying he's not there to talk about the past.

6. The Big Ragu

If anyone has the chance, you might want to turn on the TV and find this hearing. He keeps invoking the fifth, while the congresspeople lecture him. he is sitting there smirking and looking like a douche. His lawyer tried to talk and got shut up by the chairman. It's a pretty ridiculous spectacle.

EDIT: Too late. They just excused him -- he got badgered by Trey Gowdy and Elijah Cummings, invoked the fifth about 15 times, smirked and looked away while he got lectured. ... and then they essentially just told him to get up and leave. I understand invoking the fifth from a legal standpoint, but his upcoming trial has a big PR component to it. And that was NOT good PR for him.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing how he is so different from many Wall Street traders, hedge fund managers and others of that ilk.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is Jim Cramer going to tell everyone that Shkreli used to work for his firm while railing about this "shameful" hearing.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bigger douche, Shkreli or Trey Gowdy?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

He had ample opportunity to call them imbeciles to their faces. I respect invoking the fifth when you are under indictment, but then STFU. You can't be full of bravado AND protect yourself with the fifth. Pick one or the other. Trying to have it both ways is just more douchiness. This guy is so clueless.

Stoney likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this guy's act, but from descriptions I take it he's essentially a sociopath. Fortunately, I've had extensive exposure to only one such person. He was in my doctoral program for a time, but he was kicked out for a variety of things that could be summarized as "Pissing off the faculty." Trying to lobby the faculty to change this or that policy, dishonestly representing positions, blowing off work, etc. He also had a habit of fucking sorority girls who happened to be in classes he was teaching. A real prince.

Later, he wound up in another program (of comparable stature) and finished it, but when he was on the job market he actually applied for a position at that first school. At a conference reception, he even sidled over to two of the professors who'd been instrumental in his dismissal and sincerely tried to talk with them about the position. Totally disconnected from reality.

Draft saved Draft deleted