1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Francona out as Boston Manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by skiptomylou2, Sep 30, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I'm looking at those numbers and I'm the Red Sox ownership, I'm keeping the scouting and development staff and letting Theo go.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

WAR? What is it good for? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good God, y'all.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Some old crab said the same thing when that thar newfangled "RBI" stat first came into being.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Find one other team that got a poorer return on investment.

They flushed $70M down the toilet and got beat by a team that spends basically a quarter to their dollar.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The first team that jumped to mind was the Cubs. For $86.5 million in free agency spending, they got 12.8 WAR:

Name WAR Contract ($M)
    Alfonso Soriano 1.3 18
    Carlos Zambrano 0.9 17.875
    Aramis Ramirez 3.6 14.6
    Ryan Dempster 2.5 13.5
    Carlos Pena 2.6 10
    Marlon Byrd 2 5.5
    John Grabow -0.5 4.8
    Kerry Wood 0.5 1.5
    Ramon Ortiz -0.1 0.75

With the money paid to just make guys go away, I imagine the Mets and Yankees have similar track records. Regardless of team, when you go to free agency, you always get burned, unless you stick solely to players making less than $2 million.

7. Herbert Anchovy

This is why I think a team like Toronto is better off developing trade routes than throwing money at free agents. People are going to be talking about "Prince Fielder" and "bad contract" in about five years.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agreed. Fielder seems like an especially poor gamble - players with his body type have a way of cratering in terms of performance, either via increased risk of injury in their 30s or just old age; he's going to want 5 to 7 years; he'll cost you a draft pick; etc.

9. RickStain

There's an astronomical difference between $82 for 12 and $67 for 2. Plus I think you missed a few on the Cubs. Reed Johnson and Fukudome, off the top of my head.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the article, the point wasn't that you could cherrypick out Boston's worst free agents and make a list like that. It was that those were *all* their free agents (who saw a significant amount of playing time, it looks like they skipped guys who got only a few at-bats or IP).

Free agency is definitely the least efficient way to acquire talent. It's primary use should be for teams who already feel like they are close to being a playoff team, because those are the teams for whom marginal wins are worth the most. But Boston's recent track record under Epstein has been hideous even by FA standards.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Epstein has spent more than a billion dollars in his tenure. He should have won the World Series twice.

And the Red Sox ought to be penalized for not making the playoffs, with everything so advantageous to them.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RBI isa statistic, capable of being proved with mathematics. WAR is an unprovable theorem, not a statistic.

12. RickStain

Draft saved Draft deleted