1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Francona out as Boston Manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by skiptomylou2, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with any of that, and I like him a lot. He's as good a starter as they've had since I've been following them, but you have to play with you're head, and they'd be nuts to give him a big money extension. That said, I think they will.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's not going to get better, if he can remain comparable to the last 3 seasons for 3 more, you pay the price. If not, Cashman should have the balls to say bye-bye CC.

Who's going to take on his demands? Phillies? No, Mets? NFW. Dodgers? NFW. Angels? Maybe. Boston? Maybe but they've got a lot of sunk costs sinking fast. Atlanta is a good spot for him.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

More on Epstein's pitching problems:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/theo-epstein-and-starting-pitching.html

With the resources he's had available to him, the record is pretty abysmal, imo.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Per Dan Shaughnessy, the Cubs have asked permission to speak with Epstein.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/10/cubs_ask_permis.html

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

First comment on that entry: "In all honesty though, how many current GMs in the AL East have been able to sign good starting pitching free agents? Outside of this year's Yankees (Sabathia, Garcia and Colon) The record for free agent starters is terrible (Lackey, Burnett, Pavano, Wright, Burnett (Blue Jays stint was marred by injuries)) Very few free agent signing pay off in this division."

It does seem to be a fairly unique problem to the AL East, in that even guys with track records in other divisions or the AL seem to crap out once they get to the East (late years of Smoltz and Penny, you could add those to the above list). Tampa Bay has gotten around it by just using all system pitchers, something that it going to be tougher for them to do as they have to draft higher each year.

6. Herbert Anchovy

http://www.raysindex.com/2011/10/if-epstein-bolts-would-red-sox-pursue-friedman.html

At some point, a team is going to throw a ton of money at Andrew Friedman.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Stop. Just stop.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Friedman has conjured all of the magic he's going to in St. Pete -- which is a hell of a lot. Anybody with that kind of success would want a bigger stage and the money that comes with it.

And though he has one year still on his contract, Joe Maddon was a finalist for the Boston job in 2003.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Cubs have to clean house, and go after Francona before Uncle Jerry sinks his mitts in, don't they?

10. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

I think, and this is coming from a Cubs fan, that the only logical move to make if they fire Quade is to bring in Ryne Sandberg (if he'll even come back). He paid his dues managing at every level in their farm system. He likely has already spent a lot of time with these young stars and has the credentials of being a Hall of Fame player. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I don't see how the Cubs can possibly name any other manager than Sandberg if they make a change.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Doesn't Friedman own a piece of the team though? For some reason, I thought this was the case. Like Billy Beane in Oakland (who I also think owns part of the team), I imagine even partial ownership means they're never going to voluntarily leave for another job.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just for openers . . . the number of HOF players who have made (even decent) managers is grotesquely low.

I won't go further. I don't have the heart for it, this morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted