1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Thomas, slam dunk HOF now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

How many players can a writer enter on his or her ballot? I thought it was like 8 or something, and that even if a player's HOF class is stacked with other studs, it still shouldn't be a problem getting in unless there were 8 of them.

And the thing that I've always been impressed with about Thomas - his last year at Auburn, he was intentionally walked something like five times with the bases loaded. Whatever it said on his 1990 Topps Traded card, anyway.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There is no limit to the number of players a writer can vote for, although most writers typically vote for no more than 3-4 players in a year.

Historically, though, if a player's entry class is filled with at least two sure-fire studs (for instance, an Aaron and F. Robinson in '82, or Ryan and Brett in '99, or Ripken and Gwynn in '07), other guys are going to get shut out this time around. That's because the writers typically hold back on their votes. That's why "first ballot HOFer" has become such an honor -- even though it's dumb, because it's based on writers who don't vote for other HOFers because there's a couple studs on the list.

A Hall of Famer is a Hall of Famer. First ballot, 2nd ballot, 15th ballot. It doesn't matter.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I understand your point however 1999 had Ryan, Brett and Robin Yount all first ballot guys.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

As with anything, some are better than others.

5. But Carlton Fisk was on that ballot, and he had to wait a year.

6. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

I'm a Twins fan... I'll answer at a later date.

7. alexg23

alexg23 Member

"Each writer may vote for as many as 10 candidates, or as few as zero."
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/history/hof_voting/default.htm

And Thomas would get my vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted