1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrations Mount at Washington Post as Its Business Struggles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A Decade Ago, Jeff Bezos Bought a Newspaper. Now He’s Paying Attention to It Again.

During his tenure as executive editor at The Washington Post, Martin Baron ran into a persistent problem.

Jeff Bezos had purchased The Post for $250 million in 2013, less than a year after Mr. Baron had taken over. Mr. Bezos, who arrived at media ownership after founding Amazon and remaking online shopping, wanted his top editor to transform the newspaper from a regional news organization into a truly global one.

Liut likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Some combination of money and resources and readership I suppose.

Per the above,

The Post was also bleeding talent. In the past year, several prominent reporters, including the Pulitzer Prize winners Eli Saslow, Robert Samuels and Stephanie McCrummen, left, along with top editors including Mr. Barr; Steven Ginsberg, a longtime editor; David Malitz, senior culture editor; and Sharif Durhams, deputy managing editor.

And Greg Sargent just took the buyout.

Lewis certainly has his work cut out for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/2023/11/04/washington-post-announces-william-lewis-publisher-ceo/

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading Baron's book. Did not realize his resignation was in early 2021. Thought it was more recent.

Azrael likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Nice to see he got a prominent spot

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Guess there isn't a non-compete in the buyout. A little surprising.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It isn't surprising for Sargent. (And he's a good writer. But TNR is a better spot for what he does.)

7. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Well-Known Member

Are non-compete clauses common in journalism buyouts? The only clause in the buyouts offered at my shop over the years have dealt with our own publication (we couldn't do any freelance work for our publication over the course of the buyout).

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just figured with a large outlet like the Post and a large and competitive coverage area, there would be one. For print, Gannetthouse won’t let you hire back exes as stringers, only one I am personally aware of in print. They’re very common in broadcast media.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I just did that. As you can see, it worked. Thanks.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted