1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrations Mount at Washington Post as Its Business Struggles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 30, 2022.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Article I read said subscriptions declined significantly after Trump left office.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Previous post was tongue in cheek. Most people figured they'd lose revenue without him in the Oval Office (the NYT as well), based on the surge they saw when he was there. Although it seems he has been in the news enough to keep the gravy train going. But I guess not. Ukraine and Israel aren't going to sell subscriptions.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Thank goodness New Gannett did not over-estimate digital subscription and digital ad revenues.

5. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

Which is why they would give anything for him to be the Republican nominee again. As much as the national political media wring hands about him, they love the clicks/ratings he gets from those who love and hate him.

PaperDoll and Readallover like this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Especially Josh Dawsey, the no-neck piece of shit who's carried Fat Orange Hitler's water for years.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Every time I read a Times story about the failings at the Post, I feel a bit icky.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

sgreenwell, Azrael and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/media/2023/11/05/william-lewis-washington-post-ceo-profile/

Within a handful of days, William Lewis was both knighted by British royalty and hired by one of the richest men in the world as CEO and publisher of The Washington Post.

One role, ceremonial with few responsibilities or expectations. The other, quite the opposite.

In an interview Sunday, the London-born veteran media executive acknowledged the challenges of the job ahead — a softening ad market, a shrinking and distracted audience, a staff coping with anticipated cuts — while professing optimism about the institution he’s joining.

“We’re going to expand. We’re going to get our swagger back,” Lewis said, echoing a word that Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, has used about the news organization he bought a decade ago. “I know that right now is not our greatest time, but we’re going to grow again. And we’re going to get that confidence back and that swagger back. I can tell you that with absolute confidence.”

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That Bezos could cover any losses at the Post with the change he keeps in the ashtray of his Maybach.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted