1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's good business for some to hit, but figure the under-25 there was probably +120 or so. After betting a few dozen of those I gotta think one would end up ahead.

That was also a great way to scoop up a couple bucks in the old @exmediahack arb plan. Take the +100 at DK and then +120 or so on the other side at another book. Rinse and repeat for as long as you (or the books) can stand it.

exmediahack likes this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Wild story on the NFL gambling ring.

If those guys would have just bet with BetMGM, they’d quickly have gotten limited to $1.26 and no one would have noticed.

playthrough likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Was just gonna say, maybe they can come here and join us on this thread!

But seriously, another dipshit move by the NFL. "Everyone, gamble! But not you. Not like that."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Timberwolves in-game +9½ seems good, considering all the smarties had them +2½ before the game.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

IMG_2147.png

Thank you, guy I never heard of.

MileHigh and Batman like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

The over/under on Islanders-Hurricanes tonight was 5.5. It was 1-1 with under four minutes left.

The Islanders scored four goals in 2:17--the fastest four-goal flurry in playoff history--to win 5-1. That's either the best backdoor cover-type thing or worst bad beat of all-time, depending on what you had.

Batman likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

Gotta love the late in-game bets when the losing team is getting 10 more points than the closing line and covers handily.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A golf handicapper that I follow liked Billy Horschel and Sam Burns over Taylor Montgomery and Kurt Kitayama in a matchup bet at the Zurich. Horschel and Burns were going to lose until Montgomery/Kitayama made a quadruple-bogey 9 on the final hole in the alternate-shot format. Talk about losing or winning a bet by something that never happens? That's one right there.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Every day, I’m behind people clogging up lines buying lottery tickets.

Why not use the same technology the books use to sell lottery tickets on the phone?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that happens in Virginia. I know the Virginia Lottery has an app where you can play scratchers online, which is weird to me but to each his/her own.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I bet Atlanta Hawks first to 10 yesterday. We were out doing errands and I check my phone - Celtics are up 19-11. Not a good sign. I go to gamecast to find the Hawks actually led 11-9.
    Sweet!

Cosmo and playthrough like this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

An older and/or less affluent clientele that doesn't use cell phones for those reasons?

Draft saved Draft deleted